Author Topic: Classified adverts and the business directory  (Read 24680 times)

Offline Cassie

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Classified adverts and the business directory
« on: August 01, 2006, 07:15:14 am »
I see there's another spam advert (Jabari)

Not sure which moderators are around to delete it.

John_fraser

Re: Classified adverts and the business directory
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 07:50:05 am »
Sadly I don't have the rights to change adds. It will have to wait for Dave.

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 07:44:53 am »
I see there's another spam advert (Jabari)

Not sure which moderators are around to delete it.

... and again!!! ::)

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 11:00:40 am »
We are trying some new measures to try and stop people spamming the adverts. I have added an IP blocking facility to try and reduce 'repeat offenders' and there are a couple of other measures I will be writing in to the script this week which will also help.

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 03:49:20 pm »
Someone keeps adding an advert to the classified section for used cars. The contact details are not clear. The adverts usually read something like this.

Cars and Motoring rell authomobiles international. we deal on all kinds of luxury cars,including jaguar slyle p,bmw x5,lincoln navigator,hummer3,royale lincoln,etc.at the cheapest prices,our special services include,delivering to your door step before payment.you can reach us with our mail, *****@yahoo.com. you will be glad u did. thanks in anticipation.

I suspect it's spam, but even if it isn't, we don't allow commercial companies to use the classifieds. If the person who posted is reading this, just a reminder that the service is for non-commercial local sales only --- as set out in the site's guidelines and on the Classified Ads page.

David

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 07:19:06 pm »
I am amazed that people place private adverts on this site and dont include a contact no !!!!!!
Honda Dylan motorbike, Help with School Run and 1930's piano advers for example.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 07:20:26 pm by Neville Hobbs »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 07:25:39 pm »
I am amazed that people place private adverts on this site and dont include a contact no !!!!!!
Honda Dylan motorbike, Help with School Run and 1930's piano advers for example.

Hi Neville,

Click on the 'more' link under the front page advert then the 'contact this person' link on the advert itself and then you will find the number and the email form for getting in touch.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 08:54:08 am »
Hi David,
There isnt a button for "More information" . There is one for Whats on though.
If I cannot find it easily then noone else can either ;)
Neville

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 09:19:43 am »

Hi Neville

Can you see a 'contact this person' button? That's the one that will give you the info if you click on it.

I still have problems with this area too. Although I can click the button and see a phone number if the advertiser has put it on, I do not get an email template and cannot email them.

I also had a problem with the blog section because after the initial launch when everything was fine, something changed and I couldn't access the text, only the headers and sometimes the pictures. I wasn't therefore able to take part in the blog section and did wonder if others were having a problem too and that's why it didn't take off as it should have done.

I raised both of these issues at the time, but just got the reply that no-one else had a problem.

All I can say is that if anyone reading this thread is experiencing similar problems, then let the editorial team know and maybe they can put it right.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 09:28:28 am »
It is not unheard of for 'security' software to cause this sort of problem, I've seen some strange things caused by Norton Internet Security for example, although can't recall the exact symptoms.

This might explain why a problem appears to affect only one user.

Unfortunately for a non-commercial site it would be impractical to test everything against various browser versions, operating systems and software configurations. I used to work at a web design company and a major part of any web project was testing to ensure everything worked consistently across different configurations.

Neville - are you running any such software you could temporarily turn off and see if the symptoms change ?

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 10:36:34 am »

Neville - are you running any such software you could temporarily turn off and see if the symptoms change ?

How very knowledgable you are.
Without Norton protecting me from lifes viruses, the "More" button has appeared. Very strange. Thank you, I didnt think I was blind.

Computers!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 10:38:02 am by Neville Hobbs »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 01:39:16 pm »

Without Norton protecting me from lifes viruses, the "More" button has appeared. Very strange. Thank you, I didnt think I was blind.

Computers!!!!!!!

You don't need to turn Norton off, just lower the setting. You will still be protected and will be able to see all the links.

David

Offline supersonic

• Yabba-dabba-doo
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 08:48:29 pm »
Hi Neville,

If you're running Norton Internet Security try this. I posted a while back when I was running Norton Internet Security 2004.

Open NIS and click on the 'AntiSpam' button. Click on Ad Blocking (5th link down) and then click the Configure button. Next click on 'add site' at botom of page and enter www.brookman.com then click OK. Now find it in the list and click on it once to highlight it, then at the bottom of the next window click on 'add'. Select 'Permit' and in the text box enter /adverts/ (including the slashes). Click OK, and then the OK button at the bottom of the page. Close NIS. Job done.

Good luck,
supersonic

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 06:13:56 am »
Hi Neville,

If you're running Norton Internet Security try this. I posted a while back when I was running Norton Internet Security 2004.

Open NIS and click on the 'AntiSpam' button. Click on Ad Blocking (5th link down) and then click the Configure button. Next click on 'add site' at botom of page and enter www.brookman.com then click OK. Now find it in the list and click on it once to highlight it, then at the bottom of the next window click on 'add'. Select 'Permit' and in the text box enter /adverts/ (including the slashes). Click OK, and then the OK button at the bottom of the page. Close NIS. Job done.

Good luck,
supersonic

Hi Supersonic,

Thanks for that. A great tip. With my Norton Internet Security there is one more step needed between sentence two and three.

"Open NIS and click on the 'AntiSpam' button. Click on Ad Blocking (5th link down) and then click the Configure button. Click on the ADVANCED button. Next click on 'add site' at botom of page and enter www.brookman.com then click OK."

David

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 08:54:35 am »
I wonder why I didnt know that :) So simple.
Thanks guys, job done. Now I can see the more button every time I log on.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 07:49:53 pm »
A regular on the Brookmans Park Forum posted items for sale recently and received a dodgy looking reply. If anyone selling things on the site receives a response like this I'd be tempted not to reply.

MY NAME IS ADAMS SCOTT
I want to bring your attention to the ()you are selling.I want
to know if it is so much available for sale or it has been sold?because
i wantthe ()for my father, Just get back to me with details and also its
condition beside the one you stated in the advert.Pics will be
highly ok if there is any for the and furthermore,PLS KINDLY LET ME KNOW THE LAST ASKING PRICE ok and the payment will be made by money order cheque to clear.awaiting your response soonest
thankls

Looks like a standard form with brackets for the item listed.

David

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 08:42:55 am »
I received 3 of these dodgy e-mails in reply to an advert I placed for a car in Auto Trader. I decided to follow these enquiries to see where they led. Each enquirer wanted to send me a cheque for 2 to 3 times the value of the car and then wanted me to send the balance by Western Union. I received 3 fraudulent cheques. I managed to persuade these crooks who were in Nigeria to go to a designated Western Union branch to supposedly collect the cash balance from me. Hopefully their images were captured on CCTV - the police are looking into the matter.
If I was not so alert, I could have been badly conned as the banks will say that the cheques have cleared and later, when the fraudulent cheques are discovered, the banks will just claw back the money. Apparently, one is supposed to ask if the cheques have been GIVEN VALUE to find out if they have actually been paid.
Take care.
Neville

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 12:33:44 pm »
This is a classic 'advance fee' fraud commonly perpetrated by Nigerian and other west african con artists.

An amusing and informative website is at http://www.scambuster419.co.uk/ which covers the general subject and the advert scam in particular at http://www.scambuster419.co.uk/classifiedadscams.htm

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 01:59:55 pm »
what an outstanding website!!

A

Offline Silver

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 07:12:46 pm »
Besides the scam replies to ads, there are also the dodgy emails from Nigeria. I get these regularly.  Obviously I delete them, but since their suggestions for various financial deals are clearly illegal, I wonder whether I should report to the police. Mind you - I suppose they would be indundated if everyone reported them!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2007, 07:46:27 am »
We received a feedback email overnight seeking clarification about the rules for this site's classified ads feature.

The system is for local private sales only, not trade.

Individuals may post regarding the sale of larger items, such as houses or cars, but agents are not allowed to use the facility to sell goods that would normally be traded commercially.

This is so that we can protect the service for local people to dispose of unwanted goods and for those buying to pick up a bargain.

Users may post multiple adverts; there is no limited on the number of items you can sell, but we only allow one post for each item.

We have had cases of the same item being posted twice and described slightly differently in order to try to widen the appeal. This just leads to confusion. It also creates suspicion in the eyes of the moderators as to whether the advert is being placed by a business rather than an individual.

If the volunteers running the Brookmans Park Newsletter feel an an advert is offering offensive material (see the guidelines on taste and decency) or that it breaks the rules, the advert will be removed.

Where it is not offensive, but where we suspect a business concern behind the advert, we usually email the author to seek clarification. If you are posting multiple items it is worth adding a line explaining why, such as "moving home and clearing loft" or something similar.

The Brookmans Park Newsletter can take no responsibility for unsatisfactory sales and nor can it take responsibility for the quality of goods on offer or the fairness of the price. There is no charge to use the facility and all dealings will be between the person selling and the person buying.

If these rules, and those set out in the site's editorial guidelines for adverts, are not clear in any way, please let us know.

David
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 09:05:06 am by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2008, 04:28:17 pm »
The classified ads section has been set so that adverts expire after two months.

This is because many were out of date and some several years old.

As a result the Classified Adverts section has been pruned from several hundred ads to 18.

If your item has not sold, but expired, please feel free to post again.

David

rpakey

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2008, 07:24:29 am »
Anyone know if a local business directory exists? The ones I have seen promote all local businesses, by way of paid adverts which are then delivered to each residential address in the local area
If one does, could you supply details through this post, thanks

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2008, 07:34:18 am »
Hi rpakey,

I presume you mean in hard copy? I think Thompson's Local still exists, although I can't find my copy in the house. They have a website (click here). If you are also interested in online advertising, there is our Business Directory (click here) where you can add details of your business in a searchable database free-of-charge.

David

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2009, 09:10:37 am »
There's a couple of ads on the home page in the classified ads but they don't have any information about them - one is called 'Happyland' and the other is one for a Nanny available, qualified and experienced

???

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2009, 09:24:44 am »
Thanks Angel, that usually happens when things are sold or when people have second thoughts; they often edit the entries down to remove the details. I will delete them.

David

Offline mannyd

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 08:29:28 pm »
I thought classified ads were not supposed to advertise services?? (Or so I was told when I wanted to 'advertise' my request for buying/selling china). Is not the catering advert a breach of the site's rules? Don't know where to raise this issue other than here....

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 09:44:15 pm »
Hi Mannyd, you are right. I will remove it and write to those who placed it suggesting it goes in the business directory.

David

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 09:00:51 am »
I'm a bit confused then as we often get ads from people offering babysitting, cleaning services etc so why is that so different?

The young person who placed the ad was featured in Chancellors Newsletter recently.  I'm not sure he actually has a business as such

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2009, 09:05:35 am »
Hi Angel,

The classifieds is for selling unwanted goods and for picking up a bargain. It's also for help wanted or help offered. I have viewed babysitting, odd jobs and cleaning in this category.

The business directory is for local businesses who want a free, searchable listing. We have been looking at ways of surfacing some of these businesses in a random feed that appears on the front page so it can display local firms and help them.

However we want to try to keep the two apart; I admit it is a difficult call at times.

Here is what it says at the top of the classified ads page.

Welcome to the Brookmans Park Newsletter adverts page. Here you can buy and sell items online. The system is for local private sales only and not commercial/trade transactions or promotions. The classified ads section exists to enable people to dispose of unwanted goods and for those buying to pick up a bargain. Individuals may post regarding the sale of larger items, such as houses or cars, but agents are not allowed to use the facility to sell goods that would normally be traded commercially. You may post multiple adverts, but please only post one advert for each item.

Here is what it says on the business directory page.

The Brookmans Park Newsletter Business Directory is a free service for local businesses. It is replacing the old contacts page. If you want to add your details to the new directory and join the other 122  local businesses already listed, simply click on 'add a new entry' and complete the form. Businesses must comply with the site's editorial guidelines. Any problems or questions, please let us know.

The site's guidelines also cover this. Click here to read the relevant bit.

David

Tags: