Author Topic: Traffic calming  (Read 5573 times)

rognjac

Traffic calming
« on: November 28, 2002, 09:25:11 am »
The word on the grapevine has it that HCC have announced that the traffic "calming" restriction in Dixons Hill Road, Welham Green is to be removed, after 10 years and hundreds of complaints.

Can anyone confirm this - I don't get get to see the local press, and the freebie paper deliveries seem to avoid me.

Rognjac
« Last Edit: November 28, 2002, 09:26:45 am by rognjac »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
Re: Traffic calming
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2002, 10:53:40 pm »
I have today had a questionaire delivered by the Tory party regarding local issues.
On the front page is an article entitled "Chicane Madness"
It relates to the chicane in W.G. and a petition to County Hall for the removal of this 10 year old temporary measure.
Personally I find that the chicane, whilst being a pain, ensures that I slow down although I do not speed through this area anyway.
I find the Mini Roundabout a death trap, the number of times I have had to stop or give way to prevent a crash when I have right of way is out of proportion to the times I use it.
Does anyone else have an opinion?
regards,
jet
« Last Edit: November 29, 2002, 02:02:49 am by jet »

Offline Bob

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on many things
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2002, 02:01:32 am »
Page 19 Welwyn & Hatfield Times 27 Nov confirms this but doesn't say when it will happen.
Bob
Bob

rognjac

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2002, 08:48:01 am »
Thanks for you responses, Jet and Bob. I live further down Dixons Hill Road, near to the mini roundabout. It will be interesting to compare traffic behaviour after the removal takes place.

Rognjac
« Last Edit: November 29, 2002, 08:48:51 am by rognjac »

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2002, 11:28:20 am »
As I said on a post on another thread - I lived in Welham Green until July 2002, and overlooked the chicane from where I used to work at home. It would be a very rare day indeed when I didn't hear car brakes screech on as a driver misjudged the speed of other cars coming through the Chicane.

I am in favour of traffic calming along that road, but believe that chicane is just an accident waiting to happen.

James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline john

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2002, 04:36:06 pm »
If it's any interest/ use ...

Last year HCC asked us here at RVC to build two chicanes in Hawkshead Lane ...
Shortly afterwards they said "hang on ..."
Now we aren't to build them ...
Next ... ?

regards to all:    T'Other JF

John_fraser

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2002, 10:13:20 pm »
My experience is that a large proportion of drivers do not understand how a roundabout is supposed to work. One time, when being given a lift, I heard the driver complain that two cars coming from his right had not given way to him. When I commented that they had right of way, I discovered that he believed right of way went with who ever was at the roundabout the longest. As I was unable to convince him of the error of his ways, I thanked him for the lift and walked the rest of the way.

That said, the roundabout on the junction of Dixons Hill Road and Station Road is really bad. Drivers coming out of Station Road find it difficult to see cars coming from their right and cars coming down Dixons Hill Road don’t seem to expect cars to do a right turn into Station Road.

This JF

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2002, 11:21:59 am »
Is anything else planned to replace the chicane?  Some traffic calming device is needed.  

I've turned right from Station Rd into Dixon Hill Road at the mini roundabout checking for traffic ,only to have some kid from the right who wasn't there when I pulled out, drive at speed towards me swearing at me.  

Not putting anything back to replace the chicane could be more dangerous.

Birch

rognjac

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2003, 05:28:29 pm »
I see that today, Monday, work has started on the removal of the Dixons Hill Road chicane.

As it was put in one month before I moved into WG, 9 years ago, it will be interesting to see the effect of its absence.

Rognjac

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2003, 07:08:22 pm »
Is anything going in it's place to slow traffic down?

Worried WG resident  :o

julia

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2003, 01:48:37 pm »
Hertfordshire County Council traffic management representative (Mark Goodyear) has told me that the chicane is being replaced with a variety of road markings and edge markings to encourage motorists to slow down. These were supposed to be in place by end of this week but now it is likely to be first week in April due to problems with paint. In my opinion these road markings will not have a significant effect on traffic speeds in Dixons Hill Road. Who is going to monitor it? Will there be a traffic survey to ascertain the effectiveness of the road markings? Are the police going to be involved to enforce this and the legal 30mile per hour speed limit through the village? It relies only on self-control by motorists. There has recently been  two serious accidents on the zebra crossing in Dixons Hill Road one involving a school child. With  the chicane removed (which, for all its faults, did actually do the job it was put in place for, that of slowing the traffic ) and only motorists goodwill to follow road makings it is surely only a matter of time before more accidents occur.  I understand that residents had complaints but this was due to the irresponsibility of car drivers who chose not to obey requirements of road use.  I use Dixons Hill road 6 times a day to walk children to and from school and therefore in a reasonable position to judge traffic problems at peak times of the day. Only hours after the chicane was removed on thursday the traffic at 3.30pm was speeding through the village unchecked. I will be contacting the police and writing to Herts. County Council on all the above points. I would urge others to do the same.

Phil_Holm

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2003, 04:02:44 pm »
Has anyone noticed that we are a street light missing in the village centre.

It's the one that used to be outside the pet shop.

It was "taken out" by a car - presumably going too fast - coming into the village from Bluebridge Road.  When I drove past the incident a couple of weeks ago, the car was up on the kerb infront of the pet shop with the lamp post lying next to it.

Like many others, my wife and 2 daughters walk this route twice daily to school and back.

I guess so far we have all been lucky, but unless pre-emptive measures are put in place to reduce the speed of vehicles through our village it's just a matter of time before someone gets badly hurt.

It's shameful that due to the Department of Transport and Home Office Guidelines we have to wait for a serious accident before anything is done.

John_fraser

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2003, 11:58:57 pm »
Most drivers drive above the speed limit, partly because their cars easily exceed it and they don’t realise they are doing it and partly because most people think they are good drivers and as such they don’t have to adhere to the limit. Most of the time they get away with it and on most of the occasions they don’t, very little damage is done. Sadly for the rare occasion when it gets serious, lives are ended and others are wreaked.

There is absolutely no point in relying on drivers being responsible. It is about as sensible as relying on people being honest on their tax return. Some will be sensible, most will bend the rules a little – sometimes with fatal results – and a few will be a danger to everyone. Unless drivers are forced to slowdown by a physical obstruction, most will tend to drive a little over the limit and a handful will drive at excessive speed.

Sadly in our car culture nothing can stand in the way of the convenience of the motorist. Nothing must slow them down and nothing must make them give way to “lesser” forms of transport. No community is too old, no parcel of land is too historic, no view is too Beautiful and no peaceful oasis is too valuable not to be sacrificed to trim ten minutes off a two hour drive. The government will spend billions and wreck train journeys for months to make our trains “safe,” but motorists can not forced to slow down, no matter how much more dangerous they are.

Until another person is killed on Dixons Hill Road we won’t get traffic calming back there. On Bluebridge Road I know of six or more accidents directly resulting from speed that could have killed another road user, and there’s probably many more I’ve never seen or heard of. That is the second lamppost I know of hit by a car in the village. On the previous occasion my wife and children were relatively near by and saw it. If either car had of hit someone before the lamppost, there would have been fatalities. A number of stationary cars have been hit, which make you wonder what hope the driver would have of avoiding a pedestrian crossing the road. A while ago I came close to hitting a car overtaking me at a ridicules speed as I started to turn right into my drive and I’ve seen far too many near misses. But until someone’s luck runs out and we have fatalities, nothing will be done.

Tags: