Author Topic: Brookmans formerly known as The Brookmans Park Hotel  (Read 281215 times)

Offline MC

• Opinions on many things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
Brookmans formerly known as The Brookmans Park Hotel
« on: December 31, 2002, 01:56:52 am »
I just wanted to record the fact that I think the new car park has sharpened up the image of BP Hotel enormously.

It's quite a surprising effect. It had looked a bit shabby before although you only realised that after the work was done. Now it looks much more professional; quite classy in fact.

Also, on the practical side, the car park has more spaces and is better laid out too

Mary_Morgan

Re: Brookmans formerly known as The Brookmans Park Hotel
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2003, 10:28:44 pm »
Mark

Entirely agree.   Visited the BPH on Friday lunchtime and thought the carpark looked great.

Mary

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2003, 09:54:30 pm »
On the Jumble Sale thread and the station car park one I have seen lots of ideas about people thinking they should be allowed to park in the pub car park.

Why.  The pub is private property.  It's car park is for its customers.  Alright, some days it may not be busy, but it could be.  

The Jumble Sale was on a Saturday, the pub has a function room, they may have had a wedding on.  Where would the wedding guests have put their cars.

During the week there could be a wake?   I have certainly been a few there.

If the pub let commuters use their car park, where would the customers that they do have park their cars?

Having been a "regular" over many years, I have never had a problem parking in the pub car park (through many landlords) if I have asked them in advance if I could.  I have even been told off by one for not using it when he spied my car parked elsewhere in the village.  

Why anyone believes they have a right to park there, I really do not understand.  

Have I got the right to park in your driveway just because it is convenient to me?   I can imagine what some of you would say if I tried it ;) ;)

Mary

John_fraser

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2003, 10:09:14 pm »
I so agree with Mary - and I'm not exactly a fan of the BPH. I can see their concern that if they allow their carpark to be used as the Village carpark, it will become continually full and unavailable for customers. I think they have every reason to fear this and protect their asset.

There is a large free - for the moment anyway - car park 1 minute's walk from BPH, so there should be no need to park there anyway.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2003, 10:09:50 pm by John_fraser »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2003, 10:18:11 pm »
Of course they can do what they want and I personally cannot see why people take their cars to a pub as drinking and driving do not mix. >:(
Its just not a very wellcoming sign at a hostelry. :(
As in most things its another case of what you cannot do as against what you can do. ???
regards,
jet
looking forward to a beer there with Aiden soon.
Funny thing as you get older your hearing naturally deteriorates, when people say " what do you want to drink" you cannot hear it, but when kids scream you can hear it for miles, hi & lo frequencies 8)

Offline Zorro

• Opinions on some things
  • oppressors tremble at my name
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2003, 10:23:46 pm »
hola gringos, eef zay clamp tornado theer weeel be mucho trouble ei theeenk.
up tornado away
Zorro Defender of the oppressed

Mad_Dad

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2003, 11:04:41 am »
I think they should have grassed over the car park and created a lovely garden for us to sit in and sip Pimm's on a summer evening.
Think how much nicer that would make the village.
There's plenty of room for cars either side.
Doesn't make any sense to me that they've made a feature of their car park. Mind you, seeing as the whole centre of the village is just a glorified car park I don't suppose it makes much difference.

Offline Margaret

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2003, 10:19:42 am »
Yes it would have been much nicer as a garden but I think you'll find a car park is probably cheaper and easier to maintain. Shame though.

brookmans_park_hot

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2003, 07:25:03 pm »
Thank you all for your positive comments re our car park its nice to see people have noticed the changes we have made. Unfortunately all the car park spaces are needed for weddngs so the idea about a Garden at the front is just not practical. We have however re vamped the Beer Garden which is at the side of the Hotel and is fully inclosed so safe for children.  

ACE

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2003, 12:50:24 am »
The Brookmans Park Hotel needs to be congratulated on the new car park as it raises the image of the whole village.  In addition, they have kindly agreed to allow Brookmans Park Primary School parents to use their car park in the mornings as a drop off point for older children who can then walk to school through the village and along Bradmore Way to the school gates.  This is encouraging children to walk to school and alleviating the volume of traffic in Bradmore Way/Peplins Way, if only slightly.  This is a great community minded spirit!  The garden is well presented and children can safely play while parents enjoy the summer atmosphere.  Thank you Brookmans Park Hotel.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2003, 12:52:07 am by ACE »

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2003, 06:31:24 pm »
i would also like to add my apprecation to Merisa and Ariel for the great job they are doing and also letting the parents use the car park .Its nice to have a pub that is truly family friendly.Well done you 2 ,oh and not forgetting Roger of course

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 01:34:12 pm »
Can anyone shed any light on the following?

I've just heard that - apparently - the Brookmans Park Hotel is to become 'more of a nightclub'. I'm told that the owners have applied for an extended drinks licence allowing them to stay open until 1.00am weekdays and 2.00am at weekends, and also for a gaming licence and an extended music licence.

Is this true? Perhaps if someone from the hotel reads this, they could reply and set a few minds at rest (or not!).

Mermaid

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2005, 01:52:11 pm »
Hi Mermaid,

I can confirm that this is categorically not true.  I had a long conversation with Arial at the pub last week about the new methods for applying for licences.  the gist of it being that you no longer go to court to apply for a late (or early) licence each time, but apply for a licence for a period of time.

Arial and Melissa have applied for a licence to cover eventualities such as the last World Cup and weddings not to open a nightclub.

The gaming licence almost certainly applies to the existing fruit-machine and pub quiz machine, and the music licence to discos for weddings.

Hope this makes sense,
Aidan

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 01:59:27 pm »
Makes perfect sense, thanks for the explanation Aidan.

Phew, what a relief!    ;D

Offline Aidan Winwood

• GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2005, 02:02:48 pm »
No Probs,

A

John_fraser

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2005, 02:20:21 pm »
Once the hotel gets this licence is there anything to stop them openning to 1am or 2am every night?

Offline Aidan Winwood

• GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2005, 02:32:36 pm »
I'm not sure, apart from the fact that neither of the owners want to.

Personally I think that opening an hour later on Fridays or Saturdays would be fine anyway - it would just give people more flexibility.

Aidan

John_fraser

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2005, 02:59:42 pm »
I'm not sure, apart from the fact that neither of the owners want to.

Maybe not now, but what about in the future? If the hotel hits harder times? If a new owner arrives?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 03:12:48 pm by John Fraser »

Offline Aidan Winwood

• GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2005, 03:40:22 pm »
I don't think there's much anyone can do about that - any new owner could apply for an extended hours license at a later date.

All I do know is that neither Arial or Melissa have any intention to start a night club, which was the answer to the original question.

Aidan

Offline Bada Bing

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2005, 05:09:13 pm »
Not sure if this is correct but I think that licenses are granted to individuals not premises.

Offline daisy

• Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2005, 02:09:33 pm »
The blue application notice is stuck up on the glass doors of the hotel. The application states that they have sought to allow sale and supply of alcohol on and OFF the premises from 7:30 am until 2:30 am on Fridays, Saturdays (and Sundays of bank holiday weekends) and from 7am to 1:30 am on Sundays to Thursdays.

If they don't want to stay open until 2:30 am why apply? And why apply to sell alcohol to people who can drink it off the premises? Does off the premises mean on the village green or out of the hotel building but still sitting on the hotel seats?

Offline Aidan Winwood

• GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2005, 03:20:29 pm »
The BPH currently has a on and off premises license I think.  As far as the timings go, I think is is now a standard time period that will cover late licences for weddings/private parties (which sometime run to 1 - 1:30am at the moment on special application).

Best way to find out if you have concerns is to go and ask in the pub.

Aidan

PS: no, this support for the pub doesn't mean I own shares in the pub!

PPS: yes, I think slightly later opening times would cause no problems for the village!

John_fraser

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2005, 03:42:12 pm »
I’m not sure where you live, but the people who’ll be really affected are the ones who live close to Bradmore Green. There’s already a developing problem with youths in the evening there and these people are being asked to take it on trust that the pub will not use its new licence to stay open any latter or more often than it currently does.

I realise that the situation is not of the owners’ making, but instead is the result of the governments change to the licensing laws. But if I lived closer to Bradmore Green I would seriously be considering objecting.

Offline Aidan Winwood

• GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2005, 04:06:40 pm »
I live closer to the pub than most other people in the village (circa 40 yards) and I can tell you that the problem with noise is not the pub it's the kids on mopeds or with cars that have an inverse relationship between engine size and exhaust pipe(s)/stereo.  Also if you live in the village center, the trains going past make as much noise as the people late at night on a Friday / Saturday.

I genuinely do not feel that any later opening would cause large amounts of noise polution - people who arrive early would leave at a similar time they do now, and people who arrive later would not be too loud and pissed later on since they haven't been there all night.

Anyone else in the village center have a view?

yours,
Aidan

John_fraser

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2005, 04:34:41 pm »
I agree that the pub has not caused the 'youth problem' and would probably like to see it removed. My point was that the pub openning late would be another source of late night noise.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2005, 06:18:38 pm »
The blue notice on the door of the Brookmans Park Hotel says that objections to the application (to stay open until 0230 am Friday and Saturdays and 0130 the rest of the week) have to be submitted by July 21. Objections must be sent to the usual address...The Chief Planning Officer, Welwyn Hatfield Council, Council Offices, Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, AL8 6AE.

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Evil

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2005, 01:29:03 pm »
I think it rather sad that the rumours about the Brookmans turning into a nightclub were started by someone who doesn't even live in the village!  Now let's all be honest with ourselves for a minute - what sort of nightclub closes at 2am?  That's the optimum clubbing hour!

Ariel & Merrisa work hard to please everyone and most of the people that moan don't even go into the pub so what gives them the right to complain about it.  There shouldn't be any fuss about this at all, it's quite simple - the new licensing laws have made it so that every establishment has to apply for a 'blanket' licence.  They no longer offer temporary licences like those that had to be obtained when England were in the World Cup and for the New Years Eve party held each year.
 >:( :icon_scratch: >:(

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2005, 02:59:08 pm »
Hi Evil, Welcome to the forum. I hope you find it useful. You mentioned 'people that moan' in your post.

Ariel & Merrisa work hard to please everyone and most of the people that moan don't even go into the pub so what gives them the right to complain about it.

I haven't noticed any moaning or complaining about the pub in this thread. It seems to be a discussion about the implications of an extended licence. The site has a policy covering criticism of local businesses - please click here to read it. Also, if people were moaning, how would you know whether they used the pub or not, especially as so many post anonymously? Also, how do you know that the person who started 'the rumour' doesn't live in the village?

I think it rather sad that the rumours about the Brookmans turning into a nightclub were started by someone who doesn't even live in the village!

I don't know who started the 'rumour' but the person who started this thread is local and so has a valid reason to raise the issue. For the record, I live in Brookmans Park, but far enough away from Bradmore Green not to be directly affected by this. I use the pub once or twice a month for a pint while waiting for my take-away curry to cook.

:)

Note: Edited only to correct a typo 

:-[
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 03:15:56 pm by Editor »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Evil

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2005, 03:09:06 pm »
Thank you Editor.  I didn't mean any offence to anyone and maybe moaning wasn't the right word.  There are a few people who have 'open concerns' about the pub having a late licence!  Also, the people I was referring to were not necessarily on the website but people I have spoken to around the village.  I know the person who started the rumour (if not started doing a very good job of telling everyone) doesn't live in the village because I have an acquaintance who knows the person personally and is therefore not the person who started the thread. 

It is rather amusing the way 'chinese whispers' get round the community.  What started off as a pub having to apply for a new licence has escalated into it being a nightclub!     

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2005, 04:08:17 pm »
Thanks for that,

There are a few people who have 'open concerns' about the pub having a late licence!

I think that is where this forum can be of value to the community. Without a thread like this, some might not have known about the application for a late licence. Now those who have concerns also know that they can object to the council. According to the notice in the main glass door at the Brookmans Park Hotel, those objections have to be submitted by July 21. Objections must be sent to the usual address...The Chief Planning Officer, Welwyn Hatfield Council, Council Offices, Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, AL8 6AE.

Tags: