Author Topic: Brookmans formerly known as The Brookmans Park Hotel  (Read 281272 times)

Max

Re: Brookmans formerly known as The Brookmans Park Hotel
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2005, 06:56:58 am »
God though, wouldn't it be great if they did decide to open a nightclub? Pleasant place though BP undoubtedly is, it could really benefit from something to do in the evenings, as could most places in our wretched country with its ludicrous closing times. The first time my (Greek) wife came to the UK, she came to the conclusion that we were all mad. What kind of time is 11:00 P.M. to end a night out, for goodness' sake? We have a house on a Greek Island called Ikaria, and our village probably has a population of about 200 at the most, but the pub stays open until at least 02:00 AM almost every night, and often a lot later. That goes for the whole of Greece, and Spain and Italy too, but cannot be considered simply a southern phenomenon, as you find the same thing even in quiet northern places like Denmark. And no-one is forced to stay out late in those countries. If there were such a thing (which I seriously doubt) as a Greek who wanted to go to bed at 11:30, there is absolutely nothing to prevent him/her from doing so.

It would be great if BP residents had the option of a decent late night out without either a) someone in the company having to keep off the booze in order to drive home, b) drinking and driving or c) having to pay an arm and a leg for a late taxi.

These days, when I come back to the UK for a visit, I find myself wondering if a large number of British people actually enjoy being bored in the evenings! There are certainly far too many who's greatest joy seems to come from preventing others from having fun, not that I am accusing anyone here of that.

And surely any "youth problem" (What "youth problem"? I sometimes think some older people forget that they were young once too) in Bradmore Green would be reduced if the youths in question were in the pub, rather than hanging around with nothing to do (God, the painful memories of being 17 and broke on a Friday night in BP!). Personally, if I lived in Bradmore Green, I would be all for it, even if I were to be sometimes woken up by car/motorbike engines at closing time (really, what's the big deal? Turn over and go back to sleep, why don't you!)

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh. †Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2005, 10:27:12 am »
Max, I agree with you in almost every point you make, but if you can just tell me where you live and I will come over with some scooters at about 1:30am on Saturday night and I'll scream around on them on your drive for about 30 minutes non-stop.  Then you tell me whether you managed to 'just turn over and go back to sleep'.

Apart from that, I totally agree that the continental (and indeed Scottish and Irish) opening hours are much more sensible, and allow for more relaxed drinking (and eating).  Oh to be able have a Spanish type style of eating small dishes all evening (without going to Spain I mean).

A

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2005, 11:58:49 am »
No Aiden. First of all you need to play some drum and bass at excessively high volumes to make sure everyone is awake to hear you screaming around on your motorbike.

Admittedly, the link between people leaving the pub and the normal Friday/Saturday night noise is probably nil, however there is a definate increase in noise when ppl do leave the pub of car doors slamming, engines starting etc. It's unavoidable. Fine, if everyone left en masse at 2:05am and it was quiet by 2:10am it might be possible to turn over and go back to sleep - have a suspicion it won't quite work like that and we will get prolonged noise over a much longer period of time.

As someone who lives very close to the Brookmans, I'm not in favour of the pubs new hours, and will be writing to the council to object. I notice in the paper this week that there are a couple of other applications from similar premises that say, for example, that 'live music will be limited to 12 times a year'. I'm sure that the Brookmans could rewrite a similar thing to reassure local residents that, two years down the line, they do not decide to open every night until 2am (+ half an hour drink up time)

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Evil

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2005, 12:07:19 pm »
If the Brookmans wanted to open later than proposed in the week they would have to reapply for the licence again as once they have the new licence it cannot be changed, a whole new one has to be issued.

As far as I am aware the Brookmans have no plans to have live music, the late licence means that they can still have functions on the premises.  If the licence gets refused there will be no more late licence for parties, wedding receptions etc.  I bet a few people would have something to say if their wedding reception had to end at 11pm or we couldn't watch the next World Cup in the early hours of the morning because people objected to the new laws!!!

The new licence would just mean that the whole pub would be open till later rather than just the function room.  The people that object are the ones that will miss out if they ever want to host a party or whatever because they won't be able to.

Max

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2005, 02:12:25 pm »
Aidan, my original home (where my mother still lives) is in Westland Drive, about 3/4 of the way up from The Gardens to the alleyway. As it is, I live in Athens most of the year, spending Summers in Ikaria, and a good deal of time in Abu Dhabi, where I work. Everywhere stays open late in all these places (funny that in an Islamic country it is easier to get a beer at 04:00 AM than it is in the UK). In my peaceful Summer residence, we are right next to a road and have noisy motorbikes coming up and down all through the night, which does not usually prevent me from frequently feeding the local mosquitos by crashing out (inadvertently) on the garden swing hammock on my way back from the (usually still open) pub 25m down the road from the house. Mind you, I am notoriously difficult to disturb when asleep, and have, amongst other things, slept through a fire alarm on an oil rig and an earthquake (5.5 on the Richter scale) in Sicily (not to mention my alarm clock on many occasions)!

Yes, the noise can be a bit tiresome sometimes, but it is worth it for the facility of having somewhere you can go (without driving) for a couple of beers and a bit of company whenever you feel like it. And if the noise of people leaving a pub or club at 02:30 AM on a Friday or Saturday night is going to disturb you, then I would suggest that you have a) gone to bed far too early and b) not had enough to drink before doing so! :-)

If people are making ridiculous amounts of noise late at night, then they could be encouraged to shut up by the police if necessary, but to me, the idea of ensuring that no-one is disturbed at night by making it illegal for places of entertainment to remain open until a reasonable hour is a classic case of the cure being worse than the disease.

Offline Aidan Winwood

• GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2005, 04:34:05 pm »
Max,

I agree with you and would personally welcome a continental style of eating and drinking in the evenings.  I've been agreeing with that since the beginning of the thread!

As far as the bikes and cars at night, I have reported these (to no result) - kids hangin around the village smoking and boozing doesn't really bother me - I did the same when I was younger in the village - but the mopeds and cars loitering in the village I can't stand.

James - just out of interest, since it says in the Webcam post that you are moving out of the village centre, why are you going to object to the council about possible noise that you will no longer hear?   ;)

Aidan

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2005, 11:28:07 pm »
James - just out of interest, since it says in the Webcam post that you are moving out of the village centre, why are you going to object to the council about possible noise that you will no longer hear?† †;)

You are right I am moving out of Bradmore Green - unfortunately I'm moving just round the corner to Station Close, so will be even closer to the pub  :icon_scratch:
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Evil

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2005, 09:18:03 am »
Surely then you are not moving out of the village centre but more in to it!  :P

Offline Margaret

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2005, 12:15:54 pm »
Perhaps James is objecting on behalf of the people who do live there, after all he has experienced living in the village centre so can sympathise with them. just because he is moving doesn't mean he should stop caring. I like the idea of continental style eating out, but I think the main reason it hasnít really taken off over here is the Great British WEATHER. I also think that the people who run the pub are the type of people who would encourage their clients to respect the neighbours, no matter what the hour.

Max

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2005, 10:58:47 pm »
I don't go along with the weather excuse, Margaret. I have never been anywhere where the weather is worse than Esbjerg in western Denmark, and there are plenty of places that stay open very late there, every day of the week. You will find much the same in Holland also, and even within the UK, it is far easier to find places that stay open late in Scotland than in England, and even the Scots do not claim that their weather is better than ours!

Offline Evil

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2005, 09:25:44 am »
I agree.  Lots of pubs (not night clubs) in London are open late.

Offline Gashead

• Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2006, 09:14:47 pm »
Heard this evening that the BPH will turn into a gastro-pub come August. I wish Arial and Marissa all the very best but I fear for the heart of our (BPH-visiting) community.

Offline barmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2006, 09:30:36 pm »
Good god - let's hope that the consistency in the food quality at this new "Gastro" Pub is somewhat better than the allegedly sometimes maybe dodgy beer quality apparently available at the BPH in its current form, probably - or not. Nice location, and pleasant inoffensive decor, though.

(edited by request)

B† ;D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 09:45:09 pm by barmy »

Offline Evil

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2006, 04:32:12 pm »
Why does every change have to be negative?  Why can't people look at it as positive - a new place to eat and drink, something different from curry or chinese!

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2006, 10:24:33 am »
Allegedly sometimes maybe apparently in its current form probably - or not, inoffensive, though.

Blimey the BNP (Be Nice Police) have certainly got to you!

And even before changing the post, Barmy made a good point.  Hoping for consistent food quality is a positive outlook in my book.

Offline Evil

« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2006, 10:27:09 am »
Not when said with sarcasm!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2006, 10:52:42 am »

Blimey the BNP (Be Nice Police) have certainly got to you!

Hi ADM, all the 'Be Nice Police' asked was the following...

Quote from: David Brewer

Hi Barmy,

Would you mind editing your contribution to remove the criticism of the beer please?

Thanks

David

Barmy obliged in his own, unique way (thanks Barmy).

;)
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Aidan Winwood

• GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2006, 12:19:40 pm »
Have now had confirmed that the pub is shutting for a month on the 31st July for the refurb. 

Good to have a firm date to run up a large bar tab on...

Personally I'd like to thank Ariel and Merissa for several years of putting up with us, and sincerely hope that Roger, Alan and the other staff are still with us after the refurbishment.

A

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2006, 12:42:41 pm »
I've used the Brookmans Park Hotel for many years (now only occasionally) and despite various managements going back to the pre Chivers era I've always felt its potential has never been realised.

Lots of people have said things like 'it could be a great pub', 'it could be a goldmine' etc without ever really identifying what's wrong with the current set up. Certainly the quality of the beer was never consistent in the Chivers era (hope I'm allowed to say this) which is surely something that has to be right for a pub to be sucessful. Also ventilation seems poor as it always seems incredibly smoky to me.

Do we know if it is to continue as a hotel ? Will the banqueting suite be changed ?

One problem is that the hotel is a large building, probably with large overheads, and it's always going to be difficult to make a successful business with it.

Personally I would welcome a change as it is virtually on my doorstep and would like another restaurant I could walk to.

I wish the new management (Arial / Merissa ??) every success.

Offline Evil

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2006, 01:26:25 pm »
As far as anyone knows there will be no more functions and it will just be a bar and restaurant.  Not sure if they're keeping the rooms going.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2006, 07:23:09 pm »
That is right Bada, new people would have to get their own situation sorted out so nobody need fret about what the current owners are doing-it wont carry forward necessarily.

The Hotel has let parents park their for school for a while and it makes a lot of difference both to the kids and I am sure those who live in Peplins.

Offline pdb

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2006, 02:12:36 pm »
Do we know who the new owners are and if they have any other venues?

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2006, 02:37:29 pm »
Heard they own / operate 4 other restaurants on similar lines - but don't know any more than that.

Offline Gashead

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2006, 03:54:49 pm »
One of them, I believe, is The Vine in Ware

Offline pdb

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2006, 04:35:09 pm »
The Vine is really nice establishment with great food.
I hope that's what they'll do with the Brookmans.
It's just what the Village needs.

ottoD

« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2006, 06:49:08 pm »
Anyone who wants to go clubbing all night until 8am can find plenty of establishments in the West End....see you there! ;D

Offline pdb

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2006, 11:13:02 pm »
I hear the Hotel is now closed.  Is this true and until when?

Offline Evil

« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2006, 09:34:29 am »
Yes it's now closed.  Last day was 31st.  Depending on who you speak to, the pub is going to be closed for 4 weeks, 6 weeks, 6 months etc etc (chinese whispers).  Don't think anyone actually knows for definite.

Offline pdb

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2006, 09:53:28 pm »
where's the best pub to drink in now and get a good meal?

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2006, 10:21:11 pm »
The Cock o the North is nice during the day.   Ive not been in there at night.

Tags: