Author Topic: Bradmore Green one-way Proposal  (Read 46127 times)

ottoD

Re: Bradmore Green one-way Proposal
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2006, 08:40:23 am »
It's not much use having road signs that some drivers obviously don't understand. I saw two close incidents this morning whilst crossing the green. The new one way system is an obvious licence to collect money for any aspiring traffic cop ;)

Offline Rocket

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2006, 09:19:42 am »
Traffice cops are only seen in Bradmore Green, when there is a robbery or worse! Also, you'll never see a Traffice Meter Warden in Brookmans Park, because there are only 4 of them for the whole of Hatfiedl & Welwyn district. >:(

Offline Rocket

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2006, 10:05:44 am »
Hold fire! The 'No Entry' signs etc, in Bradmore Green have been covered up with Bin liners! :o Expect they have to be approved by the EEC first? :icon_jokercolor:

Rocket

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2006, 10:33:44 am »
Noticed that too on my way to work this morning.

Although the 'No Entry' signs at Co-Op eand of road weren't

Also, the sign outside Hollywood looks reasonably straight - has this been repaired already, doesnt look like at a 45 degree angle to me.

Offline Rocket

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2006, 10:39:27 am »
Alll signs have been covered up now. :icon_scratch:

The crooked sign outside Hollywood was straightened the same afternoon, probably by the person who did it ;)

Rocket

Offline Peter Hastings

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2006, 11:41:06 am »
I thought the new one way system was a good idea BUT firstly what has happened to it? It was full on for a day or so, now we have road markings but covered signs. It is mayhem on the old school run. Is there a plan here and if so what is it?

Secondly and I am not a road planner but if it all stays as it is isnt it set up back to front? On the one day it was all up and running people coming down Bluebridge or Brookmans had to go right up to the same junction (where the Hotel is) and turn right, across oncoming traffic, to get into the school road. They could then use the new one way bit by the shops to return. I just assumed it would be set up the other way round, so the incoming traffic in the morning turned down by the shops, thus relieving rather than trebling the traffic at the junction and then allowing them to return by turning left at that junction. All we seem to have acheived is to make sure that everyone coming to school from whatever direction has to pass through the junction where the Hotel is and most of them will be turning right?? Now I can see we will need a roundabout soon to keep the junction working properly and maybe a flyover for those trying to go straight through.  What was the thinking on this?

Also is there clarification on the cost-I suspect looking at earlier posts that the comparison with the PCSO muddled the figures up.

Thanks to anyone who can unconfuse me.

Offline Rocket

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2006, 12:26:29 pm »
The signs will remain covered up untill they become legall. For further info' call the Highways Maintenance (HHC) on, 01438 737320
Regarding the 'one way' around Bradmore Green, I think all children should be walked to school with there lazy parents within say, one mile radius! :-* My chidren always walked to both Brookmans Park Junior and Chancellors School.
Also, the 'one way' places the vehicle on the correct side of the narrow road/s when parking, which leaves only the driver  to worry about the off side door being opened in front of the overtaking traffic.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2006, 10:40:52 am »
The direction of the one-way system was carefully thought out.  The section in front of the library in particular.  If it had been the other way round there would be only one way out of Bradmore Way/Peplins Way.   It would have created a bottle-neck
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 01:17:25 pm by Bob Horrocks »

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2006, 07:35:28 am »
Thanks for the explanation re the direction of the one way-neither of those points had occured to me. Believe me though it was chaotic the one day the signs were uncovered with only one way into the Peplins Way area and many people having to turn right across that junction. Let's hope it works better when people get used to it.

Yes walking to school is to be encouraged. We live at the other end of Georges Wood Road- about a mile or so from the school and there is no way our 4 year old has the energy nor we the time to walk all the way. We regularly park in the village outside the Coop or in the Hotel Car park and walk from there. The Hotel have given parents permission to do this which is a practical way to avoid Peplins and get some exercise. People wont do this though if it is raining etc.

Of course to get to the Hotel you now have to go through the one junction with everyone else??!!  Still lets hope for the best. How long till the signs are uncovered?

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2006, 01:16:43 pm »
I imagine the signs will become legal once an official notice has appeared in the WH Times in the public announcements section.

When my wife and/or I have to pick up the grandchildren from the school we park in the side road next to the church and walk.  It is only 5 minutes walk, and you can get to that road through the alleyway next to the hairdressers.

There is no change to getting into the hotel car park, surely?  That section of road in front of the Vets is unchanged.  Only the sliproad in front of the library is to become one-way, plus the one in front of Statons estate agents.  Both will be in the same direction to simplify things.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2006, 06:34:35 pm »
Yes Bob we sometimes park in the Church as an alternative and maybe thats the way to go.

Now all traffic into the school in the morning has to use the same junction outside the Hotel it is going to be tougher. However I guess there was a choice of a bottleneck in or a bottleneck out and I do think the slip roads needed to be one way one way or another so lets see how it goes. I am sure it will be ok when we all get used to it.

Offline JMT

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2006, 10:32:05 am »
Once the new one-way system is up and running, surely it would make sense if the "unofficial one-way" run to and from school now went down Peplins Way and from the school down Bradmore Way, thus not having to cross the traffic at the junction of Peplins and Bradmore Way.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2006, 10:50:56 am »
That has already been suggested, the reason is apparently so that if cars travel anti-clockwise around the block they can pull up outside the school without children having to then cross the road.

Offline Rocket

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2006, 10:56:01 am »
Once the new one-way system is up and running, surely it would make sense if the "unofficial one-way" run to and from school now went down Peplins Way and from the school down Bradmore Way, thus not having to cross the traffic at the junction of Peplins and Bradmore Way.

I think it makes safe sense, if school traffic went in an anti clock direction, therefore, allowing children to alight from thier vehicles without having to cross the road and hold up even more traffic! Are you all aware that it is illegal to stop, even for a moment, within the zig zag lines!!!

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2006, 11:15:55 am »
I agree with JMT.  An anti-clockwise system would make a bottleneck at the junction of Peplins Way and Bradmore Way as cars try to emerge out of Peplins Way into Bradmore Green.

Offline Rocket

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2006, 11:20:07 am »
I agree with JMT.  An anti-clockwise system would make a bottleneck at the junction of Peplins Way and Bradmore Way as cars try to emerge out of Peplins Way into Bradmore Green.
That's very true! But at least the children are droped off & picked up on time, safely!

Offline Margaret

« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2006, 01:45:44 pm »
Has anyone considered the residents of Peplins/Bradmore in this. If I lived at the first few houses in Peplins I would be very peeved at having to drive all the way round the block and visa versa just so twice a day parents can drop or collect their children of at the school. What happend to the idea of walking children to school etc. surely the safest way.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2006, 01:50:59 pm »
I live in Peplins Way and traffic is very heavy at school run times. However it's only for a couple of short periods each day - really I can't see it as a great issue even if I did have to drive all the way round.

Offline Rocket

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2006, 01:52:20 pm »
Has anyone considered the residents of Peplins/Bradmore in this. If I lived at the first few houses in Peplins I would be very peeved at having to drive all the way round the block and visa versa just so twice a day parents can drop or collect their children of at the school. What happend to the idea of walking children to school etc. surely the safest way.

The residents are already use to this little traffic jam at school times. They probably drive on either side of the school start & finishe times?
I also think that Peplins and Bradmore Way should be made one-way anti clock anyway!

Offline Nonloso

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2006, 07:36:40 pm »
No matey, the residents aren't used to it. I am sick of inconsiderate, arrogant and incompetent drivers who think that they have right of way at all times and in complete ignorance of the highway code. I can't understand why the fat, lazy mothers and their spoilt brats can't walk or cycle. Most of them live within a mile at most - it would hardly kill them.

Offline Rocket

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2006, 08:48:07 pm »
No matey, the residents aren't used to it. I am sick of inconsiderate, arrogant and incompetent drivers who think that they have right of way at all times and in complete ignorance of the highway code. I can't understand why the fat, lazy mothers and their spoilt brats can't walk or cycle. Most of them live within a mile at most - it would hardly kill them.
Read post 27 on 20th March. :'(

Offline Bob

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2006, 11:21:37 pm »

Do you mean "reply 66, 20th March ?
Bob

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2006, 08:50:18 am »
Does anyone in the insurance business know what the likely outcome would be if there was a prang in the one-way system while the signs are covered but while the roads have clear markings with a white directional arrow one end and large white 'NO ENTRY' letters the other? Would the person observing the white markings be in the right, or do the black bin bags on the signs, in effect, 'cover' the markings too?
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Rocket

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2006, 10:48:56 am »

Do you mean "reply 66, 20th March ?

Yes! ;)

Offline mungroo

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2006, 09:42:59 pm »
The problem is not so much the school run - it's the STUPID people taking their ONE kid to school in their STUPID 4x4's. I dropped my daughter off to school in Little Heath on Friday - this school has a similar arrangement with the church next door where you can use the car park. There is a 'one way system' during the school run times and this would work quite well were it not for the idiot mums in their huge gas guzzlers that take up MORE than one car park space. The roads are also narrow so it's a total nightmare manoeuvring. It's the same as transporting each child in their very own mini-bus - but without the snob value. I was absolutely livid on Friday as I just could not see the point. I HATE THESE DAMN THINGS ! It's not as if the terrain around Brookmans Park + Potters Bar is that bad is it ? 95% of these mums are local and do not need these kind of vehicles for taking their children to school - if you're having to use the M25 or the A1 then maybe yes - but not for residential roads in a small town or village. There are plenty of small/medium sized cars available these days with plenty of safety features that can be considered as alternatives.
I am so angry !  >:(

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2006, 01:23:10 pm »
The unofficial anti-clockwise one-way system at school times does work. It cannot be fun living there but it does only last a few minutes and most parents make sure they do not block drives. Without the one-way system, the whole thing would take longer and be more dangerous. The only time there is chaos is when someone comes the other way round-I am guessing usually a delivery van or such like who doesnt know and wonders why he gets a pile of traffic and stern looks. Making it official would remove that problem.

it would also allow the zig zag markings to be corrected so they covered the approach to the school and outside the school properly. Jitu was down there the other day and certainly people who park on the zig zags or over drives dont help and should be penalised.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2006, 03:23:18 pm »
The unofficial system does seem to work.

As a Peplins Way resident I would not want to see a permanent 'official' one way system implemented for the simple reason it is only needed for a few minutes twice a day, and then only on school days.

All that is needed is for people who have to drive to school do so considerately - and for those that dont consider either parking at the church or walking/cycling to school instead.

I think we're looking very hard for an answer to a problem that doesnt really exist.

Offline Rocket

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2006, 09:52:18 am »
No doubt, the Head Master of BP school from time to time, askes or gives the children a letter to pass on to their parents a request to drive the unofficial 'anti-clock' route? ;)

AgentOrange

« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2006, 12:39:45 pm »
Personally, the Bradmore Green one way system clarifies a somewhat dubious road layout. As for the BP school run, perhaps mungroo needs to moderate his language. I have seen much poor driving and inconsiderate parking at school run times, and there is precious little correlation with vehicle size. Perhaps, as todays 'Times' suggests, munroo needs a good tickle to halt the post / 4x4 rage! :)

Perhaps mungroo (and others of a similar ilk), need to take a look at this from the BBC:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4829628.stm

And do try the quiz - it may broaden your understanding!

Offline mungroo

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2006, 09:37:20 pm »
hmmm...I haven't seen too many Rolls Royce Phantoms on the school run lately !

My point has nothing to do with the environmental aspect - it has all to do with the size of some of these monsters e.g. Range Rover, Toyota Land Cruiser, B*W X5, Discovery, Volvo XC90, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Merc ML etc etc. These things are huge and I talk from personal experience of having seen mums struggle with these things in the small car park. This means cars are not parked efficiently, it takes ages to park and un-park one of these beasts and all this causes a huge 'backlog' in the unofficial one-way system causing chaos. I really feel sorry for the local residents who cannot get in or out of their own roads. The point about a 'high' car being easy to load/take out kids is a perfectly valid one - but even then, there are many other safe and practical small cars that are suited to this task and wont cause a gridlock.

Tags: