Author Topic: Youth club update  (Read 5330 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Youth club update
« on: March 04, 2006, 09:00:26 pm »
A new youth club, aimed at 11 to 14-year-olds, could be operating at the North Mymms Youth and Community Centre by the end of the month. The initiative is being organised by the Welham Green Youth Project with advisory help from Welwyn Hatfield District Council (WHDC). According to WHDC, the project has recently recruited a youth leader to help manage and run the club, which will operate on Monday nights from 7-9 pm. Click here for more details.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 09:12:06 pm by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
Re: Youth club update
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 12:03:27 am »
Whilst I wish the new youth club success, this paragraph does worry me slightly:

WHDC Cllr Mark Gilding, Executive Member for Partnerships, Performance and Communication, said, "we strongly believe in projects like these that improve the well being of young people by providing them with something worthwhile to do with their time."

It is hoped all these initiatives will create an environment that encourages young people to do something positive on the evenings and will provide a range of opportunities, activities and learning experiences.

Young people who wish to do something worthwhile with their time are already quite well catered for in the local area, through things like the Scouts, sports clubs etc.

What I believe is missing for young people at the moment is somewhere they can just go with their friends without any pressure to do anything, or be forced to take part in anything - just to be themselves, relax and chat or similar.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 12:48:59 pm by James Bentall »
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Peter Hastings

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 09:30:18 am »
 I tend to agree James. Not everyone sitting around on the green in the Summer is or indeed wants to be doing anything wrong. It is also true though that at any age you sometimes need motivating to do something positive which is where the Scouts and sports come in. Lets hope the youth club is strongly supported and the youth make it want they want.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 08:15:25 pm »
Ferdie has posted in the weblog about the need for volunteers at the North Mymms Youth and Community Centre. Well done Ferdie in being the first to use the new weblog to post a local story.

Click here to read his post.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Tags: