Linked Events

• Local Police Community Support Officer beat surgery invite: October 06, 2014

Author Topic: Our local PCSO - Police Community Support Officer  (Read 48972 times)

Offline bill_per

• Opinions on a couple of things
  • Forum Member
Re: Our local PCSO - Police Community Support Officer
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2006, 05:34:57 pm »
hi - i came across your site from the new statesman awards (congratulations by the way - superb effort).  i live in kings cross in north london where we are getting on top of quite severe anti social behaviour problems. 

PCSOs have been invaluable in tackling some long term and deep-seated issues.  The 'lack of powers'  really isn't a problem on the ground. PCSOs, who don't respond to 999 calls etc, have more time to build relationships and solve problems.  Rather than traditional police who spend a lot of time running around applying palliative 'solutions' once problems reach crisis point.  So i would recommend a PCSO to you.

You can see the sort of thing PCSOs tackle here http://northkingscross.typepad.co.uk/my_weblog/2006/07/gifford_street_.html

One of the other advantages is that our Safer Neighbourhoods Team of PCSOs has a mobile phone number that they give to certain residents so we can get hold of them, rather than having to do the 999 thing or calling the poilice contorl room (which is next to useless).  They also have email so we can tip them off to local problems and pass on intelligence.

Hope you don't mind me butting in on your debate and keep up the good work

cheers

william

John_fraser

« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2006, 08:59:37 pm »
Just to point out the obvious, the police told the PC that there were no more resources to be had, unless we paid for them it, and then only resources of dubious effectiveness. We’ve (correctly IMHO) rejected that offer. It is now very much in the police’s interest not to provide us with any additional cover, because if they did it would send the message to other communities given such an offer that if they reject it they could get some proper police. I wouldn’t be too surprised to find the cover reduced further over the next few years and the same offer to be tabled again.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2006, 08:48:50 am »
Thanks bill_per for that interesting information. I am afraid our debate has finished now and I fear we were struggling to see if someone not a "proper" copper could do enough. Your experience will be of interest if we are faced with this choice again. Do you pay towards your PCSO?

Anyway as John says we were given a fairly miserable choice by the police here and there is currently little prospect of the situation improving.

Offline bill_per

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2006, 04:18:49 pm »
no we don' t pay for them.  Our context is rather different - about four years Kings Cross was a war zone - police no go area, huge ASB problems, drug, sex and car crime rampant.  We got one of the first 'Safer Neighbourhood Teams' dedicated to area-based policing on a very small geographic area about a mile by a mile but with several large housing estates in it and maybe ten thousand people.  The SNT has a sergeant two offcers and about four PCSOs

again i would stress that the type of policeman is largely irrelevant - what is important is the time they have to devote to solving embedded problems by talking to people rather than running around answering 999 calls. paradoxically PCSOs have less paper work to fill in and so can get out on the street more.

the early experimental SNTs were so successful that the Mayor has now extended them to each ward in London - i think we pay for them through the mayors uplift on our council tax for policing.  happy to revert if this ever comes up again in your patch

cheers

william

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2006, 11:22:47 pm »
Thanks for sharing that experience, it is a shame we didnt have it before we all made our decision I know many people were unsure what was best.

That's very interesting although our minor crime wave and trouble with kids is really not enough to equate us with Kings Cross and the problems you describe. i was hoping in particular a pcso presence would help with the local kids and intelligence gathering-just being around and seen.

The problem was the police were asking us to pay half the cost for two years with no view as to what would happen then. There was certainly a strong view that we pay enough tax already to get the policing we need even if it is PCSOs without having to pay more money.

Your comments reinforce my view that a PCSO would be a useful addition to our resources but I think our way forward is to try to get the police to reorganise their priorities so we get one without having to pay extra. I am hoping now the expense of a merger has been avoided some progress will be made but I fear John is right and we may wait many years. Do keep in touch on this.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2006, 12:55:27 pm »
I wonder if the outcome of the local survey would have been any different if the following had been announced earlier.

David

September 29, 2006
EXTENDED POWERS FOR HERTFORDSHIRE PCSOs
By Corporate Communication Dept

EXTENDED powers are being granted to the Constabulary’s Police Community Support Officers from this Sunday (October 1).

The additional powers, granted by Hertfordshire’s Chief Constable, Frank Whiteley, have been introduced to bolster PCSOs’ capabilities to tackle anti-social behaviour.

Hertfordshire currently has 159 PCSOs, who are employed by the Constabulary and funded in a number of ways, including contributions from the Home Office, Hertfordshire County Council and borough, district and parish councils as well as private companies and organisations, such as the University of Hertfordshire. The Constabulary plans to have a total of 242 PCSOs in place by the end of March next year, and 359 by the end of March 2008.

Their main duties are to carry out high visibility patrols to prevent disorder and nuisance, to respond to requests from the public to deal with anti-social behaviour and to gather information about crime and suspected offenders.

PCSOs already have a number of powers to support them in carrying out their role. These include confiscation of alcohol in a public place, enforcing local by-laws and the power to issue fixed penalty notices for dog fouling, litter, flytipping and graffiti offences. From October 1, Hertfordshire PCSOs will have the following additional powers:

• Power to enforce certain licensing offences
• Limited power to enter licensed premises
• Power to search for alcohol and tobacco
• Power to seize drugs and require names and addresses of those in possession of drugs
• Power to photograph people away from the police station

Community Safety Project Manager, Peter Spencer, commented: “PCSOs have proven a phenomenal success and are extremely popular within the communities they serve. These additional powers have been granted to enable them to tackle, in particular, alcohol-related anti-social behaviour which can be so detrimental to the quality of life of residents in areas across the county.

“They will also widen the PCSOs’ remit to search for alcohol and tobacco so that they can conduct further duties without necessarily seeking the back-up of uniformed police officers.”

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2006, 06:26:40 pm »
As you see from the evidence of our friend in Kings Cross PCSOs can indeed work and giving them more powers is a good thing. However the ones I have seen locally seem always to be in their cars! They need to get out on the beat in the old fashioned way if the police themselves cannot be spared to do so.

I think more accurate information from the police might well have helped this debate-remember they also got the cost wrong!

I noticed in the Police Plan that the number of PCSOs would go up dramatically anyway, so why can we not have a couple without having to pay extra for the service? They paid nothing in Kings Cross!

I suspect the idea of paying towards a PCSO is a dead duck for a couple of years at least.

Offline PC Sarah Phillips

« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2009, 08:34:41 pm »
Hello :)

My name is Sarah Phillips and I took over the role as the PC for the Brookmans Park area when PC Ross Freeman left for new pastures!

This is a temporary post for me but I hope to be working in and around the area for the next few months.
I have been fortunate to meet a few of you already in various circumstances such as the mobile police station, firework displays and neighbourhood watch meetings and I would like to thank those people for making me feel welcome in my new role.

PC Jo Wakelen is still getting better and I wish her a speedy recovery so that she can return to full duties as soon as possible.

PCSO Louise Luxford is helping me get to know the area and who is who so I hope to see you all soon.
I have been made aware of certain issues in the community with regard to parking and speeding problems and I will endeavour to help resolve these issues in any way I can.

Now that the festive season is upon us can I take this oppurtunity to remind you all to take extra care to secure your homes and vehicles and to keep an eye on each others properties over the holiday season, especially those of you who are going on holiday during this time.

I attach a link from the crimestoppers website with some useful tips and advice on keeping your home secure not just throughout Christmas but all year round.

http://www.crimestoppers-uk.org/crime-prevention/helping-prevent-crime/christmas

You can also check out the Hertfordshire Constabulary's Christmas crime prevention advice in the next few weeks at

http://www.herts.police.uk/crime_prevention/autumn.htm

If you do wish to report an incident that is not an emergency then please call 0845 33 00 222.
For all emergencies dial 999.

Thank you, I look forward to meeting up with more of you in the future,

Sarah.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2009, 06:51:42 am »
Hi Sarah,

Welcome to the forum. Feel free to post any crime alerts here.

Regards

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline pcsogriffin

• Opinions on some things
  • Local PCSO
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2011, 02:06:41 pm »
Hi
 i would like to introduce myself ,my name is Samantha Griffin and i am the Police Community Support Officer for Welham Green . I have been a pcso fo 2 and a half years working out of Hatfield and i have been working on the area for around a year and half .

Last summer i helped organise the balloon Fun Day for Welham Green ,the first one they have had in 26 years on the village green .

If you would like to contact me my details are as follows ;samanthadotgriffin@hertsdotpolicedotpnndotuk
             office 01707 806470

Non emergency number ;0845 33 00 222

Thanks
I am the local PCSO for the area. If you spot anything suspicious please feel free to contact me via email Samantha.Griffin@herts.pnn.police.uk or by phone on 01707-354192

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2011, 02:10:11 pm »
Hi Samantha, welcome to the forum, please feel free to use it to keep everyone informed about your work and any appeals or alerts. David

Offline pcsogriffin

• Local PCSO
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2011, 02:18:29 pm »
My apologies with the last email address i will repost it  with the correct details .

samanthadotgriffinathertsdotpnndotpolicedotuk

Thanks again

sam
I am the local PCSO for the area. If you spot anything suspicious please feel free to contact me via email Samantha.Griffin@herts.pnn.police.uk or by phone on 01707-354192

Offline Colin Goff

« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2011, 12:29:08 pm »
Hi Sam,
Welcome and here's looking forward to this Year's Balloon Day. Last year's was brillient. Well done.

col.
Colin

Offline PCSO Luxford

« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2011, 04:55:20 pm »
It is with an extremely heavy heart that I have to say "Goodbye" to the residents of Brookmans Park. Due to changes being made within the Hatfield Safer Neighbourhoods team, I am being moved to another beat within Hatfield. I was looking forward to continuing my duties as your PCSO following my shoulder operation, (which has no bearing on the decisions being taken). Sadly this is not going to be the case.

I have loved being the Brookmans Park PCSO and I am genuinely upset at having to leave. You still have PC Nick Roll, and now, PCSO Ben Arnold will be taking my position.

Thank you for everything and I wish you all well.  :'(
PCSO, Louise Luxford, the police community support officer for Brookmans Park and Little Heath. For non-emergencies, please calll 0845 33 00222.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2011, 08:01:02 pm »
Goodbye Louise. Thanks for everything. For being so pro-active on this forum. For taking the trouble read the concerns of locals and attempt to respond. And thanks for popping by every now and then for a cuppa. All the best in your new role.

David

Offline William McCaskie

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Police Community Support Officer
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2014, 08:31:28 am »
Hello my name is William McCaskie and I am your new officer for Brookmans Park. I have been a police community support officer for nearly ten years. My previous beats have been The Hilltop area of Hatfield and Hatfield town centre. I am looking forward to working on a rural beat as its a complete change from an urban setting and presents a different set of challenges for me. I hope to meet as many members of the Brookmans park community as I can in the coarse of my patrols.
Saturday  was my first shift and I took the chance to pop into all the shops on BRADMORE GREEN and introduce myself. Yesterday I cycled out to the village which was a challenge in itself so I will be testing my fitness.
I look forward to meeting you all please flag me down if you wish to speak with me.
William McCaskie
Hatfield south
safer neighbourhood team
Hatfield police station
Comet Way
Hatfield AL10 9SJ

Offline William McCaskie

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2014, 09:07:15 am »
I will be holding an evening beat surgery on Monday 06th October at the United Reform Church Brookmans park, time to be announced nearer the date. This is for residents who would struggle to get to a morning one. You can come along and meet me and discuss any problems or issues you may be having in your area. I can take any reports of anti social behaviour or issues you may be having that are affecting your quality of life. If you need to speak with me before then then please email me and I can arrange a time at your convenience to see you. My email address is William.mccaskie@herts.pnn.police.uk
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 09:11:47 am by David Brewer »
William McCaskie
Hatfield south
safer neighbourhood team
Hatfield police station
Comet Way
Hatfield AL10 9SJ

Offline William McCaskie

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2014, 01:28:48 pm »
The times for the evening beat surgery have now been confirmed as 18:30hr- 19:30hrs on Monday 06th October at the United reform church Brookmans park. Please come along on the night and I will sign you up for neighbourhood watch. I would love to meet you all and if its a success I will arrange an evening beat surgery once a month.
Thank you Bill.
William McCaskie
Hatfield south
safer neighbourhood team
Hatfield police station
Comet Way
Hatfield AL10 9SJ

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2014, 10:03:33 pm »
Our local community police officer, PCSO, Bill McCaskie, has been named runner up in the Welwyn Hatfield Safer Neighbourhood Team officer of the year award. Bill was nominated “for his outstanding work over the years” and was described as a “prolific officer” who is “always keen to get involved and regularly drives community events forward". The Welwyn Hatfield team came runner up in the Hertfordshire Police Team of the Year category. Congratulations to Bill and the team. If invited in, Bill takes his tea white with no sugar, by the way.  ;)

Offline William McCaskie

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2014, 09:09:06 am »
I would like to take this opportunity to wish all residents of Brookmans park a happy Christmas and a safe and happy new year. It has been a pleasure to serve you for the last 5 months and I look forward to working with you all next year. Please if you see me on patrol say hello it makes a world of difference to have people stop and talk to me whilst out and about in the village. Please keep safe and keep an eye out for vulnerable residents who may live next door to you or in the same street.
Thank you.
Bill.
William McCaskie
Hatfield south
safer neighbourhood team
Hatfield police station
Comet Way
Hatfield AL10 9SJ

Offline Adrian

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2014, 12:49:00 pm »
Well done Bill - easily the most visible and locally active PCSO we've had. Keep up the good work and don't burn out too soon.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2014, 12:55:57 pm »
Well done Bill - easily the most visible and locally active PCSO we've had. Keep up the good work and don't burn out too soon.

Agreed

Well done Bill - great to have someone so keen to be genuinely part of our community.

Reminds of the old days (1970s, 80s) when PC Hitchings was our local bobby.

Offline Bedlam

« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2014, 09:05:58 pm »
Hi Bill,
As posted before on here, it's good to read your comments and to have you around, thanks!

Offline GP

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2014, 02:50:18 pm »
         On Saturday afternoon(27th) I was reading by the fire when I glanced through the window to see a police officer walking on the opposite side of the road. He appeared to be on foot patrol at a quiet time with many neighbours away on holiday. My wife and I are elderly and somewhat vulnerable residents and are most grateful to see this police presence and I commend this officer! I wonder whether it was Bill McCaskie?   GP

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2014, 06:12:56 pm »
         On Saturday afternoon(27th) I was reading by the fire when I glanced through the window to see a police officer walking on the opposite side of the road. He appeared to be on foot patrol at a quiet time with many neighbours away on holiday. My wife and I are elderly and somewhat vulnerable residents and are most grateful to see this police presence and I commend this officer! I wonder whether it was Bill McCaskie?   GP
I would say it probably was Bill GP, every time I'm out and about in BP he pops up somewhere, a great presence and long may it continue.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2014, 04:51:27 pm »
My wife and I are elderly and somewhat vulnerable residents and are most grateful to see this police presence and I commend this officer! I wonder whether it was Bill McCaskie?   GP

I am guessing it was Bill, he seems to be everywhere these days. Oh, and he likes a cuppa if invited in.  ;)  I have merged Bill's 'Happy Christmas' thread with the one introducing him to the local community. No posts have been lost.

Offline BrookyP

• Opinions on most things
  • Expertises:
  • Sound Engineer
  • Ebay Power Seller
  • Audio/Visual Reclaim Specialist
« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2015, 03:24:47 pm »
I agree. a very visual presence in the village.

We live at the other end of BP near A1000 and hes down here a lot on his bike and patrol.

We never had this in the past unless there had been a burglary or something before so its very welcome

cheers for all the hard work Bill

Offline BrookyP

• Opinions on most things
  • Expertises:
  • Sound Engineer
  • Ebay Power Seller
  • Audio/Visual Reclaim Specialist
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2015, 11:32:56 am »
I saw Bill out on his bike in the rain a few days back. Weather was horrible.

Its an amazing service he provides and he has too be the most visual and active PCSO we have ever had.

He also comes down the A1000 end of BP and cycles about in the cul de sacs

Cheers Bill-Its appreciated.

Guess he should get BP PCSO of the decade at least :)

BP

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2015, 11:56:03 am »
Agreed.

Keep up the good work Bill :-)

Offline William McCaskie

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2015, 10:37:38 am »
I would like to take this opportunity to inform you all that I will be leaving your village as of the 01st September. I have been offered the chance to move to Welwyn Garden City to start a new beat in the town. As I live in Welwyn garden this is an opportunity I cant turn down. I can cycle to work every day and I know the town well as I have lived there all my life.
It will be sad to leave your village but a rural beat has proved to quite for me which is obviously great for yourselves. I feel I have achieved all I can working in Brookmans park having more then doubled neighbourhood watch since being there. I have meet some wonderful people and I admire the strong community spirit that I have found in your village. I would suggest that any family's moving into the village get involved with the community as much as they can to keep Brookmans a safe and pleasant place to live and bring up children in. I would like to thank you all for your support you have shown me in the year I have been working with you all and its been a pleasure to serve. 
William McCaskie
Hatfield south
safer neighbourhood team
Hatfield police station
Comet Way
Hatfield AL10 9SJ

Tags: