Author Topic: Income from this site's adverts used for micro-financing projects  (Read 46495 times)

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh. Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
Re: Income from this site's adverts used for micro-financing projects
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2010, 10:36:32 pm »
no worries if you can't mate, leave it rather than mess things up for the rest of the site!

Ax

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2010, 07:33:39 pm »
Aidan - do you have an RSS reader on your phone?
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Oh pish posh. Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2010, 01:00:31 pm »
hmm, possibly, how can I tell?

HAWC145

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2011, 06:57:36 pm »
What are these google ads about?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2011, 07:18:27 pm »
Well spotted. I am experimenting. They have only just gone up. Trying a few ideas.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

HAWC145

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2011, 07:31:01 pm »
They look good,
Could anything be done to make them load quicker. They are slowing the site down

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2011, 07:40:27 pm »
Do you think they are slowing the site down? It's loading for me in 0.75 seconds (BBC News Online is loading in 0.69 seconds). Seems as fast as ever.

I have moved the local, free, community ads up higher on the front page to try to promote local efforts (more welcome).
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2011, 11:25:22 pm »
Do you think they are slowing the site down? It's loading for me in 0.75 seconds (BBC News Online is loading in 0.69 seconds). Seems as fast as ever.

I have moved the local, free, community ads up higher on the front page to try to promote local efforts (more welcome).

Good idea moving the banners up. I don't think the ad 'experiment' is slowing things down, but the Facebook link may, as it has to connect to FB to get the pics and then feed back to this site? It has been slower since that appeared. But, its not a major delay. Will the site get a 'click' contribution for allowing the Google ads? If so, good idea too, providing it doesn't detract from the traditional values and independance of the site and doesn't start gathering user data with spyware?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2011, 11:55:18 pm »

Good idea moving the banners up. I don't think the ad 'experiment' is slowing things down, but the Facebook link may, as it has to connect to FB to get the pics and then feed back to this site? It has been slower since that appeared. But, its not a major delay. Will the site get a 'click' contribution for allowing the Google ads? If so, good idea too, providing it doesn't detract from the traditional values and independance of the site and doesn't start gathering user data with spyware?

Hi Ferdie, I don't think the Facebook module slows the site. The site loads and the Facebook catches up when its ready. There have been a few problems with Facebook over the last 48 hours on many sites, but the Brookmans Park Newsletter will not be affected if Facebook is down - other than there being a blank page.

Regarding Google, privacy and the site's independence. Nothing really has changed. Google indexes the site several times a day, as it does with all sites. That's why we sometimes see 100+ on the site - it's not people, but spiders gathering info.  The site has had Google tracking on it for ages to see the traffic. 

If we make some money we can put that towards the site's costs and start giving Positive something back for all the free hosting they have given.

David

HAWC145

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2012, 03:57:14 pm »
Would it be possible to know how much money the site is making for the google ads?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2012, 05:00:13 pm »
Would it be possible to know how much money the site is making for the google ads?

Sure, since they were added on, 14 December 2011, they have made 53.69. The first day it was 7.06. I think that must have been because people were trying them out. Now it averages 1.06 a day. Sometimes it's down to zero. Today it looks like being 2.49.

All those figures are before tax is deducted.

I would like the site to be financially sustainable. Up to now the cost of the hosting for this site is covered by The Positive Internet, who have been supporting us since we launched. The hosting is 125 + VAT.

If we carry on at the rate we are going we should have enough to cover those costs and the domain registration (currently being paid out of a prize won by North Mymms Parish Council).  If it looks like we are going to earn too much then we can remove a few and replace them with the free local community ads that we have running on the front page or leave them there and make a donation of any profit to a local charity.

Below is a screen grab of the earnings page.

David
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 05:25:26 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2012, 05:47:13 pm »
By the way, thanks for reminding me about this. I just noticed that the ads had dropped off the forum, probably since the last upgrade a month ago.   :-\

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2012, 12:11:42 pm »
If we carry on at the rate we are going we should have enough to cover those costs and the domain registration (currently being paid out of a prize won by North Mymms Parish Council). 

Sorry for being a bit pedantic but the domain registration renewal fee of 100 + VAT for 5 years was originally funded by the Parish Council using prize money received under the ICT category in the CPRE Village of the Year competition.  The renewal fee paid last year was part of the 4,500 budget for grants to local organisations.  The 2011/12 grants have been agreed and the cheques should be issued this month.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2012, 01:44:39 pm »
The renewal fee paid last year was part of the 4,500 budget for grants to local organisations.  The 2011/12 grants have been agreed and the cheques should be issued this month.

Hi Bob, thanks for clarifying.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2012, 04:07:01 pm »
Regarding the revenue from Google Ads earned through this site (and another site I run), anything left over after costs will go towards micro financing schemes for individuals in the developing world striving for financial self-sustainability. I am looking at two initiatives, Lend With Care and, perhaps, Kiva. The idea is that you give loans that they have to pay back once they are in the black. You then have the option of leaving the money in the pot for others.

:)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2012, 06:16:35 pm »
Thanks to the forum user who reported an objectionable advert on the site served by Google. I have now blocked the url of the company. If anyone else sees and ad they don't feel is appropriate to this site please mail me and let me know. You can use the contact form from the site http://www.brookmans.com/contact.php or send me a personal message via the forum.  Once an ad is blocked it can take some time for the block to work. 

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2012, 10:58:17 am »
Update on the use of the revenue from the Google adverts on this site.

Any profits from this site (and another site I run) after costs are deducted will be put into two micro finance schemes to help people in the developing world build sustainable businesses.

The two schemes I am looking at are Kiva (http://www.kiva.org/) and Lend With Care (http://www.lendwithcare.org/).

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2012, 06:07:40 pm »
There are two great initiatives for supporting small businesses in developing countries (there are probably loads more so please post links if you find any).

One is Kiva http://www.kiva.org/ and the other is Lend With Care http://www.lendwithcare.org/

In both cases the businesses are checked out to ensure they are genuine, you loan some money (which you get back when repaid or leave in for another business) and you can watch the business grow.

Worth considering if you have a few spare pounds. All the money goes to those who can use it.

Kiva let's you make a loan as an individual or join a group that is already contributing. You can even start your own group.  For example there is a group for Christians who want to club together and joint fund projects, and one for atheists and free-thinkers and any other religious or social group. So you can create a micro-financing campaign with like-minded chums.

The best thing is that it gives those accepting the loans the dignity of being able to pay them back and helps them towards financial sustainability.

David

Offline PS

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2012, 06:23:13 pm »
Lovely idea ..... however......

(1) be prepared NOT to expect anything back in return
(2) be expected to be harrassed for extra contributions

Sorry to sound so negative....but I have lived and worked in these third world places for too long to know that these schemes are simply not up to what they portray.

If you have a disposition that can resist future efforts to conjole you after extra money, then be it so....

And of course 'giving' money never works.....it kind of 'disappears' despite best efforts to ensure the businesses are genuine, by concerned do-gooders.

Best approach is....if it appeals to your 'philantrophic' constitution .......is to allocate an amount according to your affordability, and close all links. You will have done your bit, and the recipient [hopefully] will have received their contribution.   

Period.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2012, 06:38:30 pm »
Lovely idea ..... however......

(1) be prepared NOT to expect anything back in return
(2) be expected to be harrassed for extra contributions

Hi PS, I understand your concern, but with Kiva at least you can withdraw your loan once it has been repaid (or leave it in for someone else). You don't get bothered either. You opt in or out for updates. That's it.   So I understand your concerns, but with Kiva it's not an issue. I have yet to try the other.

David

Offline Conor

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2012, 10:59:40 pm »
I have been using Kiva for about 4 months - have made 6 loans so far and all of them have been repaid. I think it's a fantastic idea and would encourage you if you are lucky enough to have some disposable income to get involved.

Conor

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2012, 09:56:49 pm »
Thanks to the forum user who spotted an inappropriate Google ad on the site. The url has now been blocked. If anyone else spots an advert that they feel in not suitable for a family site, please send me an personal message via the forum or use the contact form and I will take a look.

Thanks

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2012, 07:31:54 am »
Thanks to those who mailed me to take advantage of making a free $25 micro-finance loan via Kiva. I have mailed you your invites. Please remember to add your email address when using the contact us form so that we can reply.

Note: The free trials are financed by existing Kiva contributors who pay in a bit more to enable new lender to make one $25 loan free of charge. These free trial loans are disbursed to borrowers in the same way other loans are disbursed on Kiva. However, since the sponsor is funding the free trial loan, any repayment funds from the free trial loan will go back to the sponsor, not to the free trial lender. New lenders invited during the promotion may choose to use their own funds to make a loan, in which case repayments will go back to the lender.  But if they just want to give the $25 they can.

HAWC145

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2012, 08:03:14 am »
Does this mean that the site has made over $200. If so, Well done :D :D :D :D

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2012, 01:57:20 pm »
Good news, some of the loans made (from the income generated from the Google ads on this site) and shared via Kiva to help finance small businesses in the developing world have been repaid. I have reinvested the money - and added some more from the ongoing income from our Google Adsense - to fund five more projects (all in Zimbabwe).  Below is our portfolio of loans currently being repaid.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2012, 09:48:13 am »
Kiva loans repaid - $125 to reinvest

I have just had notification from Kiva that another five of the $25 loans we have made to micro-finance schemes have been repaid.

The money invested comes from the income from the Google adverts running on this site and on another site I run for my media development work.

I now intend to reinvest the money in other schemes. If anyone sees a particular venture that they are interested in on the Kiva site please post here and I will look into it.  All suggestions welcome.

To look at the people who need help, please go to this page...

http://www.kiva.org/lend?sortBy=random

Click on a the name of a person asking for a loan. Copy the URL of the web page and post it here.

Thanks

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2012, 08:53:02 am »
Sorry, one more thing.  I have now set up a Kiva Team for The Brookmans Park Newsletter. I should have done it before. In future money loaned to Kiva from the income from this site will be associated with our team.  Anyone can join. Details here.

http://kiva.org/i/sDYL8rwn53e

When you visit the team you will see that there are no loans listed. That is because you can't associate loans already made. As I say, I should have done this earlier. Anyone living locally who is on Kiva and wants to join the team is welcome.  Or you can start your own team for your community group.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2013, 05:36:41 pm »
More Kiva loans - using the money made from the adverts running on the site - have been repaid. I have just reinvested in more Kiva projects. Since I set up the Brookmans Park Newsletter Kiva group I have linked four loans to our group. The money from this site has helped many more people, but those loans were made before I set up the group.  If anyone wants to join the Brookmans Park Newsletter Kiva group and make a loan please feel free to do so.

http://www.kiva.org/invitedto/brookmans_park_newsletter/by/helpingmedia

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2013, 09:02:03 am »
Do you want a $25 voucher to invest in helping small businesses in the developing world? I have a few available.

As many forum users will know, the money from the Google Adverts running on this site goes to Kiva - which offers loans to try to alleviate poverty. Almost $60 has just been repaid from existing loans.  I have reinvested that money - along with the income from last month's adverts - in three more businesses. This time they are all in Vietnam.

* One loan will be used to buy a boat for a sand transport service. http://www.kiva.org/lend/556360
* Another to buy chicks to raise and sell. http://www.kiva.org/lend/556370
* And the third for a group to buy bread and poultry to resell. http://www.kiva.org/lend/556430

We now have $200 tied up in loans associated with a Brookmans Park Newsletter group on Kiva (although the real amount of money invested is far more because I only set the group up last year). 

If anyone would like to invest in Kiva I now have a number of $25 voucher to invest in a small business in the developing world.  If anyone wants a voucher, please send me a personal message with your email address and I will send you the voucher.

If anyone wants to join the Brookmans Park Newsletter group on Kiva the address is http://www.kiva.org/team/brookmans_park_newsletter

Tags: