Author Topic: Halloween, trick & treat and bonfire night advice  (Read 90526 times)

Offline anna

• Opinions on many things
Re: Halloween, trick & treat and bonfire night advice
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2002, 02:20:57 pm »
In Borehamwood, they put on a very impressive FREE display. They do it every year, and the sole intention is that people don't have to pay so everyone can go, and get a good display and hopefully won't do their own.

Fact is even the smallest displays can work out expensive, we have a large family, and instead of just doing a family ticket which covers all children we had to pay a family ticket plus more........bringing the total to a £19 and then of course there are the extras food on sale, light wands etc........

Fact is if more councils were willing to put on displays for affordable prices, then there would be less home displays.......better still just stop selling  fireworks in shops, make is illigal for people to buy them unless they have a licence to put on a big display.  In the wrong hands fireworks are very dangerous!

With the prices the Furzefield charges for instance, they must have a big enough surplus to put on a display each year for the locals!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2002, 02:22:40 pm by anna »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2002, 02:38:51 pm »
It is a requirement of the health and safety executive that a licence be obtained for the storage ( even temporary) of explosives including gunpowder and derivitives on domestic property.
Not a lot of people know that ;D
regards,
jet

Ed

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2002, 02:43:13 pm »
I tend to go down to Battle bonfire in Sussex - its one of the biggest and its a free event. The fireworks (all £10,000 worth!) are paid for by fundraising events throughout the year and from donations mainly from local businesses.

On the night street collecters collect money from the crowd, and this is given to local charities and good causes and not spent on on the firewroks themselves.

Its a really fantastic event!

If anyones is interested they have a website at http://www.battelbonfireboyes.cjb.net/

John_fraser

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2002, 03:06:19 pm »
We put on a small display and two last year. Because my children and the children we invited are very young (all under 6 years) it suited us better than an organised display, which tend to start latter, last too long, are too crowded and donít have breaks at the right time for toddlers.

True fireworks are dangerous, but so are petrol, cigarettes, matches, painkillers, garden ponds etc. They are noisy, but Iíve never had issues sleeping though the neighboursí displays. Nor have my children. The last couple of weeks have had a lot of otherwise miserable evenings brightened up.

Offline Swan

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2002, 03:40:26 pm »
I'm a sucker for any of the family based celebrationss (bonfire night, christmas, etc),
even Halloween were our little squabs can dress up, and bob for apples before a little supervised trick or treating

Anytime we can get all of the kids and adults around for a chinwag and a catch-up is bliss   ::)

The point not being to set off enough pyrotechnics to change weather patterns, but enough to be interesting, and more to see the family and have a couple of glasses of mulled wine and some sparkers for the kids (gloves, bucket of water for the used ones)

and yes I'm afraid we did have a bonfire
Godwin's Law:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2002, 04:37:53 pm »
Dear John,
My point was the time of loud bangs and the fact that it goes on to the point of boredom and nuisance.
I should imagine that the people in imp land were more thoughtfull than some up this way over the hill ;)
Dear Swan,
So it was you :) :) :) :)
Gets us chatting though doesn't it ;)
regards,
jet

Astra

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2002, 08:02:51 pm »
I love bonfire night.  But only bonfire night.

The fireworks here started around 26th October and carried on until the 10th.  That is not one night of firework displays.  That is a b****y nuisance.  Some of the mortars were being set off at almost midnight.  No fun for families with small children or babies.  These bangs were not restricted to the weekends.  Weekdays were a free for all.

It seems that we have a society that does not give a damn for others, are content to upset our pets and our children just because it suits them to let off a few loud expensive fireworks for any reason at any time of the year that suits them.

Guy fawkes night is ONE NIGHT not three weeks of hell and that is not including all the other evenings that have been ruined throughout the year because of fireworks being let off for someones birthday or anniversary or any other stupid reason that some of the residents of BP can think of.

Come to dinner, we have food, drink and fireworks.
Come to little whatsits birthday party, we have jelly and fireworks.
How about, come around to our house - we have common sense and care about others.
Doesn't have the same ring about it does it.

Face facts, the majority of people in BP do not give a damn about anyone but themselves.  I can afford it so s*d the rest of you ! ! ! !

Astra

Offline anna

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2002, 08:17:08 pm »
Just one little thought...........firstly I think the bonfire night went on a bit this year because of the terrible weather.

However, we should remember it is also the Diwali, which I believe to be the festival of light. (If I'm wrong please someone correct me!!!) and perhaps they have been letting off fireworks in celebration of one of there most important festivals.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2002, 08:24:28 pm »
Dear Astra,
ooooooohhhh :) :) :) :)

Dear Anna,
B.P. is not exactly overflowing with Hindus :) :) :) :)
Although quite a few fireworks were used for Dwahli?
in other areas.

Regards,

jet

Mind you there seems to be a group around here that worship the deity of plentyandiwantmore 8)

Offline Bob

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2002, 02:27:25 am »
Would somebody like to try and calm down our dog please after all the noise. They make fireworks that look nice without the noise so why on earth don't people use those instead of upsetting so many animals
« Last Edit: November 13, 2002, 02:29:36 am by Bob »
Bob

Offline anna

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2002, 04:08:48 am »
Bob, I do agree with you, my poor dog has been shaking every night. There has been some especially loud bangs this year.

Jet,  I understand your point, but I was just stating that some of the fireworks might be due to that.

John_fraser

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2002, 10:55:30 am »
I know of least one Hindu family in BP who celebrate Dwahli with fireworks. When the 5th is mid week the celebrations drag on as not everyone can manage to do it on the night and, as stated, the rain also causes the night to be postponed. †

I donít have a lot of sympathy with dog owners just now, as someone is repeatedly letting their dog foul the centre of the pavement outside my house. But this isnít a recent thing, and I donít see why I canít observe a British tradition just because other people have a papered pet. Complaining about Fireworks at this time of year seems a bit like complaining about the rain in November. Itís England, itís always like this. Whatís the issue?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2002, 10:55:55 am by John_fraser »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2002, 11:25:30 am »
Dear Anna,
Tongue in cheek :-* :-* :-* :-*

Dear JF
and as for you sunshine  ;)  I do not think you have had the bombardment down in imp land that some of us in the upper echellons have suffered, I do not think houses shaking and car alarms being set off are reasonable levels of explosion. My cat has taken up residence under a table as close to the centre of the house as possible.

I suppose we will all have Xmas on a different day if it snows, rains,fogs or perhaps it coincides with Eastenders ( Which of course it does every year, silly me)

My point was purely that unless it is a torrential downpour that the proper time is November the 5th and that a reasonable time to stop is say 9 ish.

HIndus have lived in this country for years without finding the need to ape 5th November why now?

Perhaps its my natural paranoia but it seems to me that many so called displays are held and timed for maximum nuisance effect and a rather pathetic desire to show how much bigger someones are than someone elses, a bit like males and car bonnets :) :) :) remember the success of the Capri ;D ;D ;D ;D

Typical started by MC, who now watches everyone bicker ;) ;) ;) ;)

regards,
jet

Offline Swan

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2002, 11:45:34 am »
Thank you, after reading several old threads as well as the current one I can now officially anounce myself as the worst possible neighbour

not only do I have children
not only do I have a dog
But I celebrate Bonfire night on a weekend

With shame Swan withdrew from the thread  :-[
(sombre background music)
Godwin's Law:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

Offline MC

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2002, 12:34:42 pm »
I wouldn't say everyone was bickering.

Frankly I'd say that most people are in agreement except for John F who as usual has taken a contrary view and apparently believes it's OK to ignite really loud fireworks at midnight and rational to extend a one day celebration over 2-3 weeks.

For the record I don't really care about the fireworks. I think it's selfish, unreasonable and unecessary for people to do the above but I'm not losing sleep over it in any way - literally or otherwise.

I just thought it would be interesting to start the thread to see what happened. It's worked out exactly like I thought it would

Offline anna

« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2002, 12:41:55 pm »
Just a quick word to JF, Whilst I agree with you that dog mess outside your house is pretty horrible, that is not the dog's fault it's the owners!!  

It's pretty cruel to think it's ok to scare a dog half to death just because it has the call of nature.

Swan

I can beat you on the worse neighbour award!
...I must be A REALLY bad neighbour, 4 kids, a dog and three cats.......not to mention a 4wd!

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2002, 12:47:41 pm »
Dear Swan,
So if you think you are antisocial? why not muzzle the kids and dogs, stop polluting the atmosphere etc etc
God loves a sinner who is saved :) :) :) To strains of the Halleluah chorus :P

Dear Mark,
are you bickering with me ho ho ho †:) :) :)
JF is allways contrary without him I would be writing to myself :) :) :) :)

Light blue touchpaper and retire immediatelly ;D ;D ;D

Why are we all posting and not working?

Regards,
jet

Dear Anna,
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone :) :)
I am getting all evangellistic this morning, must be the quiet. :) :) :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2002, 12:50:55 pm by jet »

Offline Swan

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2002, 02:04:29 pm »
I appreciate a good rant as well as the next person,
But the thing that winds me up about this MB is the amount of "lumping together" that appears to go on.

I am completely wrong or is there the suggestion that if you hold a Bonfire night party on any other day than the 5th (even as if there are no bangs post 19:30), then you are no better than someone who lets off military grade explosives at some ungodly hour in the morning?  ???

If this is the case then people need to prepare themselves for moral and rightous indignation on a regular basis

Godwin's Law:

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2002, 03:04:12 pm »
Dear Swan,
I thought you had gone ???
Whats an MB.
Noise,smoke etc are an antisocial pollution which in my humble opinion have no place in a small community.
As usuall it is the (growing) few which spoil the peacefull enjoyment of the majority.
On November 5th it is expected at other times it is a nuisance.
Strange, about 10 years ago fireworks were looked on as passe and had all but died out.
regards,
jet

Offline Swan

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2002, 03:15:13 pm »
Jet

MB stands for message Board

As it would appear that I fall into most of the categories that annoy people, and I find the decent into bickering whenever an alternate view is given, disheartening
I have decided to retire from posting

(although I will still look in for local info)

So with a song in my heart and a cheery wave

Fair well good folk of BP

;D
Godwin's Law:

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2002, 04:02:58 pm »
Dear Swan,
Thanks for explaining MB ( I thought it was mortar bomb)
I am sorry that you feel that it is teddy in the corner time, and that you take broad comment personaly.
My contention about anti social behaviour is that one households fun can cause distress to perhaps 50 households within ear/nose shot.
regards,
jet
« Last Edit: November 13, 2002, 04:04:25 pm by jet »

John_fraser

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2002, 05:14:20 pm »
Just for the record I am very luck and have excellent neighbours. I also donít have fireworks to frighten a dumb animal, as it the dumb owner Iíd like to scare the wits out of. I just donít understand why suddenly its an issue. Fireworks normally last a week or more and theyíve been going on for centuries. Dogs have never liked them, and you knew both those facts before getting a pet.

A couple of weeks ago we had people compiling about Trick or Treat Ė an American tradition. Here we have a British tradition, which people now object to. If it rains on Christmas day itís ok because as I tend to eat my turkey and open my presents indoors. Not really an option with GF, so I have to put it off. So what if the celebrations spread over three weeks? It just means there are more to go to. So what if the fireworks are noisy? Thatís part of the purpose/fun. Are they really that much of a disturbance, or are people just being killjoys?

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2002, 06:48:39 pm »
But have your neighbours got good neighbours or are they all inconsiderate :o :o :o :o
regards,
jet
PS Quens speech thread beckons one and all ;) ;) ;) ;)

Offline Margaret

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2002, 10:17:27 pm »
I do feel that John is missing the point somewhat. I think fireworks are great and certainly don't mind them going on for a week or two to avoid the weather -BUT- in years gone by they were only let off at a reasonable hour and neighbours were informed (at least ours were) when it was going to happen so that pets and children could be prepared. Not everybody likes loud noises. The bangs were so loud they made me jump and I'm partially deaf so I dread to think what it must have been like for those closer to the bangs. Bangers used to be a fun thing that made the children laugh not something that scares the hell out of them, and we are not talking about a few bangs for about half an hour or so were are talking about almost continuous bangs for two hours or more some nights. Somewhat over the top I think. For the first time ever (and I love fireworks) I was glad when it was all over. As usual the few ruined things for the many. Which I think was the point Jet was making, not a moan about fireworks themselves.

Offline Margaret

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2002, 10:18:58 pm »
Ps. In reply to Swan, What bickering?

John_fraser

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2002, 10:37:59 pm »
Not so many years ago I thought 3am was a reasonable time to get home, that the louder music it was played the better it sounded and that more was more. I donít think Fireworks arenít much different these days, weíre just getting older. For 49 weeks a year Iím a stressed out, middle aged city worker. For 3 weeks I enjoy the sight and sound. Just pretend youíre young and enjoy them, because theyíre harmless and fun. Thatís my point.

Anyone care to name a wholly British festival so well observed here as Guy Fawkes? Celebrate while you can. In the end it will be usurped by an American import or banned by the EU.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2002, 11:00:05 pm »
Dear John,
First without being asked, I have read my own post and it can be construed that I am saying you are a bad neighbour. I do not know if you are or not and trust that it will be understood that no slight is meant.
I think if a lot of people asked their neighbours for a true appraisal of their behaviour they would be a little surprised. :o
As for fireworks being harmless dream on, they cause more injuries than fire arms. :'(
I enjoy 5th November, long may it continue especially as it celebrates an act attempted a few centuries too early.
I do not enjoy fireworks being set off at other times in the year, they become a nuisance and spoil the magic of the occasion. :D
The power of fireworks is now beyond the back garden, it is strange that bangers and jumping crackers are illegal yet some of these repeating air bomb morters are allowed. >:(
Regarding loud music, the place for this is at the disco not in someones back garden. >:(
To top it all the firemen go on strike, advise is given on reducing the risk of fire and some wally up here has a bonfire >:(
regards,
jet

Astra

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2002, 03:30:40 pm »
In response to Mr. Frasers post.

I still think that 3am or any other time that suits me is a reasonable time to come home. †That does not mean that I set off fireworks five minutes after walking through the door thereby waking everyone and causing a nuisance. † I also like music loud in my car but I do try to turn it off before I start to pull up outside the house in deference the neighbours and their children.

So why is it that four weeks before bonfire night some inconsiderate b*****d thought it would be fun to let of a mortar every night for a week between half past eleven and midnight. †It wasn't fireworks night. It wasn't someones birthday. It was a typical BP resident doing exactly what they wanted and s*d the rest of the inhabitants. †One of them was so loud it was actually heard in hillman imp land ! ! ! ! †One of the neighbours actually STARTED their fireworks at half past ten and carried on setting them off for over an hour and that was 3 days after Guy Fawkes night. †That really is taking the mick.

Guy Fawkes night should be celebrated. †I am not saying it shouldn't. †But one night either way because of the weather - ok, the weekend following - sort of ok, four and a half weeks of fireworks every night is beyond a joke.

Insurance companies are to blame in some respects for our problems. †They have hiked up the premiums for fireworks displays so high that schools and small community firework parties could not find it economical to continue. †The fireworks at the primary school used to be great fun but no more because they cannot afford it and they cannot afford to have a firework party without insurance. †Imagine the wonderful display if all the neighbours had taken their fireworks to the school and had one big party. †Now that would have been something.

Please do not misunderstand me. †I like fireworks, late nights and loud music (only in my car) etc but I am against anything that causes a nuisance to me and to others and these inconsiderate people fall in the latter category.

Astra
« Last Edit: November 14, 2002, 03:31:55 pm by Astra »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2002, 07:07:10 pm »
Dear Astra,
I find loud music from car sterrios most annoying, why do you only consider your immediate neighbours ??? and have no concern for your ears :o
regards,
jet

Offline Mooniemad

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2002, 08:46:54 pm »
 Hello, I've just listened to all of you moaning and I just wanted to know what you all tried doing to stop those who ruin your good nights sleep?
Another thing, I just looked up what a firework was "a device containing chemicals that burn or explode with spectacular effect, used at celebrations". To me this suggests a firework can be used whenever as long as it is at a sensible hour and convenient with those around you. It also suggests a firework is a sign of celebration. Celebration: " to do something to show that a day or event is important; to honour with festivities; to make merry on such an occassion". If someones really celebrating then join in.
However this does not mean, I am on a side and supporting any argument. I do agree there are alot of inconsiderate firework users who should really get the firework and shove it up their behind and bang!!! However there has also been alot of fireworks being set of by young people on the streets which I have seen happen on many occassions in the past especially at Potters Bar Station. Personally I think there should be a law put on the purchasing of fireworks. The age should be higher and people can only buy fireworks if they have a specific licence.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2002, 08:59:50 pm by Mooniemad »

Tags: