Author Topic: Halloween, trick & treat and bonfire night advice  (Read 95048 times)

Offline anna

• Opinions on many things
Halloween, trick & treat and bonfire night advice
« on: April 24, 2002, 04:56:34 am »
I thought I'd start this one early, as the Jubilee thread appeared rather late............We have until November to debate this one!

As a newbie to the village I just wondered why isn't there a Firework display in BP. In fact so little seems to go on to bring the community together, apart from village day. No wonder everyone seems apathetic (sp??)

Wouldn't  it be great to have a firework display we can all walk to, say hi to the neighbours, hot potatoes round a fire.......

Or has this been tired and tested and failed?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2002, 03:47:07 pm by admin »

Offline Mooniemad

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
Re: Halloween, trick & treat and bonfire night advice
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2002, 09:05:41 pm »
 From what I remember the firework display once was ruined by some man pulling out a knife. I also heard it was stopped as it was too much to organise and that it ruined the field and the headmaster didn't like that.

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2002, 10:52:23 pm »
This makes me very sad. I did not know that the BP school bonfire had stopped.  It was started at the school in the 50s when I was there to raise money to build the swimming pool.  If I recall correctly this was exactly the same reason Village Day was started.  At least that carries on.  

Had not heard about the man with the knife.  As far as I know there were never any firework related accidents at the BP School bonfire.  

Before the school bonfire Stan the butcher (half of what is now Alldays) used to organise bonfires on the site of what is now Brian's and the other shops in the newer parade on the right going into Bradmore Way.

I regret the advent of the nanny state, surely we must have some responsibility for our own safety and not expect others to do it for us, but I suppose regulation of fireworks is sensible.  They are after all made of a pretty dangerous substance.    To organise one now with the accredited organisers would be expensive and where would you put it, if the headmaster doesn't like his field being messed up, the Gobians Woodland Trust probably wouldn't like Gobians being used.   What about the land behind the Community Centre?

Regards from a sad firework fan.
Mary :(

Offline Arty Achilleos

• Opinions on some things
  • Call me to chat about PTA
    • Baboucha Hand Made Shoes
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2002, 03:43:59 pm »
I'm glad that this subject has come up, and it seems just at the right time.
We (Chancellors PTA) are to discuss this matter, as a fund raising project, at our next meeting. Any input from the neighbours would be usfull. What do you think BP, shall we have a fireworks display?
I shall be keeping an eye on this subject.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2002, 04:04:47 pm »
Before I came to BP I lived in London Colney. There was (is) an excellent fireworks display held each year at Morris Playing Fields. This is organised by (I think) the Scouts and admission is by donation (which I think gets around various legal restrictions if no admission is charged) The display has been very well attended and various hot food, refreshment etc is available. There is no bonfire so no damage to the field.

It sounds like an excellent idea for a fund raiser, if it can be done in LC I'm sure it could work here. I think last years event raised several thoushand pounds.

Offline anna

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2002, 04:13:42 pm »
Arty_Achilleos

As I started the thread I guess you know I think it would be a nice idea.

I just have lovely childhood memories of all walking to our local display.........meeting all our friends on the street................it made it that bit more special and magical.

Now days we  get in the car, and join a whole bunch of strangers.  

It might also stop some of the home displays that I personally think should be banned!

I would suggest though that it wasn't done on the say day as Littleheath School.

I'm right behind you on this idea...............

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2002, 06:25:10 pm »
Rodger wilco,
Wizzard Idea, all for it, fantastic, great, bonza, etc.
As you can see I am slightly in favour.
regards,
jet

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2002, 11:52:08 pm »
Dear All,
It has been mentioned on this forum about fireworks being set of at night, and indeed the writer and several people have been disturbed by these occourances.
Last Thursday at about 8-30 pm one was set off near my house and a neighbour came around to see if it was either me letting them off or if I knew where they came from, which of course I did not know.
Yesterday I was visited by the constabulary who were investigating the bangs and on information received had narrowed it down to the area of my house. They were I think relieved to find that as I was the recipient of a rocket, which was laying in my garden that I could not have fired it.
It is being looked on as a grudge against noisy neighbours with the intention of the bangs waking people at night.
There were two things upsetting about this occourance.
One that I was visited by two police men and immediatelly thought someone I knew had been killed, as has happened in the past.
Two the fact that my posts on this forum have given the impression that I am anti kids and families. I have been discussed apparently all over the village.
I have nothing against anybody although I am none too pleased with anyone who acts in an anti social manner.
I certainly do not play underhand tricks on any body whatsoever and will only on very rare occasions confront any body who causes me a nuisance in a polite and concilatory way.
The police by the way conducted themselves in an impecable way, they were dealing with an awkward situation to say the least.
So there we have it a sad little Peyton Place style tale.
If anybody knows someething please let the police know and it can be cleared up.
There has been a lot of noise nuisance in the whole village lately because of school holidays, parties etc. it would be nice if everyone was a bit more considerate.
Now heres a thought, if you are a nuisance, ever wonder why your neighbours don't talk to you?
Anyway thats got that off my chest, comments wellcome.
regards,
jet

Astra

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2002, 12:24:18 am »
I have to admit, I was beginning to wonder if I was the only person in this village that had heard the bangs.

I am not against fireworks but there is a time and a place for them - November 5th only.  We seem to think that just because we can afford them we should be allowed to set the damn things off at all times of the day and night with little consideration for anybody else and just because their children are up watching the spectacle it does not mean that all the children in a half mile radius are awake - but never mind that - they soon will be with all the banging and carry on around here.

I really do believe that the recent spate of bangs is malicious as they are being set off one at a time on random evenings and always very late.  It is obviously being directed at someone and their family and the person setting them off has absolutely no problem with giving a fright to some of the more elderly of our community, waking perhaps a sick child that a parent has struggled to settle or even disturbing someone who needs their sleep so that they can rise early for work.  Oh no.  As long as they get satisfaction, why should they care.  The mentality of these idiots never ceases to amaze me.

I really do believe that there is a time and a place for everything.  Fireworks on Nov 5th not all year round, hot cross buns at Easter not Christmas, Christmas cards and wrapping paper in December not August!!!!!  Maybe its about time we looked at the society we have become and modified our standards.

Astra

Offline Ann

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2002, 11:39:55 pm »
 ::)

Near Nov 5th, you hear fire works being 'set' regularly and on other occasions during the year. One assumes it is a party or celebration of some kind; people are enjoying themselves and, I for one do not want to appear a 'kill joy', as most of the time it is a quiet neighbourhood.
However, I have heard people complain about the 'bangs'.  My mothers dog is terrified of the noise and I spend most of the night trying to comfort her.

Offline Mooniemad

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2002, 12:40:37 am »
 I have nothing against the use of fireworks, but I feel it would be alot better if they informed others of their intentions. That way if someone was not happy with what was gonna happen, then they could compromise.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2002, 10:50:43 am »
I know of a convenient interactive village forum where people could let others know their plans if they wanted to...  ;D
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Margaret

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2002, 12:09:33 pm »
When my children were young we regularly had bonfire night parties as near as possible to the 5th November and we always told as many people around us as possible especially ones with pets. There have been several bangs round our way which seem to be coming from Shrublands or Georges Wood Road.
We have students living next door to us and they have always told us when they are having a party and have always been very reasonable which is more than can be said for some of the permanant residents down this way! We have one who thinks 7.30am is a good time to cut the grass and has not mastered the art of talking quietly,which needless to say has rubbed of on his children who manage to make more noise than the whole playground full of children in the school I work in.
The other noise pollution is a yapping dog. It never stops, I'm begining to think it is a recording or a dog with a lot of stamina.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2002, 03:45:08 pm »
Police have issued a warning about fireworks being set off in the early hours of the morning in the latest Neighbourhood Watch newsletter. more
« Last Edit: September 22, 2002, 03:48:41 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2002, 11:16:27 am »
Police are getting tough on 'trick or treat' pranks. They also say many elderly people are disturbed and frightened by such calls. Is it time for parents to stop children calling  door to door at houses where the residents are not expecting them?  More details here
« Last Edit: October 29, 2002, 02:23:16 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2002, 02:29:28 pm »
They never call at my door, strange enit?
regards,
jet

Dirt_Jump_Biker

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2002, 11:38:11 pm »
Rocingfreakopotamous

Offline Margaret

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2002, 10:23:15 am »
A few years back we were all out on Halloween and when we came home someone had put an egg through our letter box. Last year my daughter had an egg thrown at her car while driving down the A1000. Needless to say I am greatly against trick or treaters, last year there were a large group from Woodlands and Shrublands going around, so I went and had a word with them. It turned out only one of them lived here and none of them were dressed up at all. I explained to them that the whole point was to get dressed up and then go round so people could see them. Then I told them to go home and parade round there own streets.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2002, 11:44:16 am »
Is a rocingfreakopotomus similar to the :-
Hippokangerhopperduck, this is a ficticious creature which has a hippos head one end, a ducks head the other end and the body being a kangeroo, it is a permanantly angry creature because having a head each end it lacks a vital component part. :o
Or is it just a form of rhyming slang insult ???
regards,
dinosaurusgigasticusrexosaurus

Offline Ann

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2002, 10:50:40 pm »
 :(  

I work as a lunch time supervisor at a local school, and the recent news letter advised parents not to let children  trick or treat in unknown areas or knock on doors of strangers.

Anyway, I shall have sweets or something for any child who has gone to the trouble of  dressing up. However I hope they will have an adult with them, especially if they are very young.
Finally, I  wish everyone a  happy time!

Tony_Collis

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2002, 12:19:33 pm »

Well, last night I had a numerous groups of local children knocking and Trick or Treating me.

I found every one of them without exception polite, courteous and having a great time. :)

Every group was supported by at least one adult and even they were well behaved and some were also rewarded with some sweets.  :D

It's great to see the kids having a great time, having fun, making a little noise, but who cares................................ :)

« Last Edit: November 01, 2002, 12:20:05 pm by Tony_Collis »

Offline anna

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2002, 04:24:28 pm »
Just one little thing to add........it's not just about the kids, some people had gone to a lot of effort doing up their houses, and chatting to the children.  We have always had a rule that they can only knock if there is a pumpkin or some other halloween thing outside. My kids were delighted with a wonderful little teddy that some one gave them and another man who had put together a bag of assorted biscuits and sweets.

All the kids I saw out and about were with at least one adult, and were polite and having a great time. I actually thought there was a great atmosphere and the kids loved dressing up.

So as a parent thanks to all the people who gave my children something, and took time to talk to them and reward them for their dressing up efforts.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2002, 10:36:37 pm »
On the basis that a third of the world will sleep hungry today, I wonder how many pumpkins were re cycled into pumpkin pie or is it okay just to play with food :o
regards,
jet
rocingfreakapotomous springs to mind

Offline Margaret

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2002, 02:38:19 pm »
We had quite a few family groups calling all of whom were dressed up including the parents which was really great they were clearly enjoying themselves which is what it is all about. In future I will be putting a pumpkin outside too. After making soup with the inside needless to say!

John_fraser

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2002, 03:25:34 pm »
JET

My wife made a mass of pumpkin soup. She doesn't read this group much, but some of her friends do, so I'll make no further comment  :-X

John

Offline Zorro

• oppressors tremble at my name
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2002, 12:30:00 am »
Buenos Notches,
Zees Treek or treeeeet, in espana we call it how you zay stannd an deleever, hee hee.
Anhow what i meen to write aboout eess theese fireworks, Zorro lika de bangs especially when hee shooot Sgt Garcias men hee hee, and we have our fiestas but theese so called families around heere setting off loud squibbbs late at night, ave theey no thought for thee bambinos tryeeng to sleeep and zee youngsters going to school in ze morning. I theeenk there are some veery antisocial ( i think what you call eeet) peeple herabouts. soo sad could be a nice area but mucho spoilt by selfeesh asses soo sad. Back to espana for yours trully i fear viva Franco, weell i ave beeen away long time. Tornado he not happy like all zee little catos an dogos or is zat daegoes, no sure
up tornado and away

Zorro Defender of the oppressed

Offline MC

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2002, 01:44:25 am »
Can't believe there isn't a thread on this already.

Does no-one have a view on it?

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2002, 01:22:57 pm »
Seeing as I seem to be the other half of the double act :) :) :)
I really enjoy pyrotechnics :)
However :(
The plain ignorance "displayed" by fellow inmates of BP
secure open asylum this last fortnight are beyond belief.
The firing of what can only be described as trench mortars after 9 pm is typical of the I will do what I want when I want brigade which has infested this once pleasant village.
No regard for children, pets or anyone elses peacefull activities.
What hapened to the magic of November 5th, there is nothing special if its every night.
The really weird thing is the lack of bonfires on Bonfire night, if there was ever an excuse for making everyone choke this was it?
We did not have this aggro when the school had its superb displays.
So there you are Mark, I will as usual say what most are thinking but are plain scared of their neighbours to say :o
regards,
jet

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2002, 09:21:54 pm »
As usual I agree with you, Jet. Funnily enough, one night last week we were in bed just dropping off at about 10.15 (we get up early in our establishment) when there was an absolute fusillade outside which disturbed things greatly, and then shortly afterwards our neighbours rang to say how noisy it was..............

ATG

ps: Wanted to reply to Zorro's posts but could not manage it. Just think how much some of those big bangs must have cost.
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Ed

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2002, 01:22:57 pm »
If everyone put the money they spent on fireworks individually into a big pot then BP could have a fireworks display to rival any in the country! This could be held on one night, and then there wouldn't be any need to have 14 nights in a row of fireworks displays!

This would give everyone an opportunity to meet new people etc.

Tags: