Author Topic: Garden bonfires and burning commercial trade (building) waste  (Read 75771 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Garden bonfires and burning commercial trade (building) waste
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2002, 02:15:13 pm »
I used to live next to a gent who was rebuilding a large garden, and he would pile all of that days waste into a bonfire during the day, and then last thing at night (before he went to bed) he would light it, thereby avoiding all (or at least most) of the kind of problems that have been mentioned in this thread. So it would appear that education and consideration are the key things

I am not sure that is the best solution Swan. †A better plan might have been for your neighbour to bag his rubbish up and take it to the tip or, if he didn't have a car, leave it out for the council or alternatively hire a skip. Some people like to have a window open at night and smoke can be distressing for any children suffering from asthma. The smoke gets into older homes without modern double glazing and it is difficult to remove. The National Society for Clean Air and Environemental Protection has a couple of pages on its site about garden bonfires
« Last Edit: September 11, 2002, 02:16:41 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Swan

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2002, 07:52:21 pm »
Only offered as an example of someone at least trying to be considerate,

Ideally - remove and recycle
Godwin's Law:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

John_fraser

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2002, 11:25:41 pm »
If you suffered from asthma you would not think it was all that considerate. On a hot night the choice of closing the windows and trying to sleep in a stuffy room or leaving them open and waking up a few hours later feeling like someone is sitting on your chest is not pleasant. If you have a young child with asthma the choice is even worse.

Offline Swan

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2002, 03:27:00 pm »
Point taken, duly castigated and humbled :-[
Godwin's Law:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

sarg3

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2002, 12:50:42 am »
Jet ?  With 300 odd posts here, im shocked you have time to have a smoke filled walk, go to work, mow lawn, go to dump with cuttings?? where do you get the time??

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2002, 02:33:17 am »
I am not sure how to take your post which may have been better suited to a personal message, however I will indulge your question. I manage my time, work from home to avoid commuting and work to live rather than live to work, by doing most things myself I do not need to work hard and give tax paid money to cowboys. As I work for myself I only select work which will appear to pay rather than the employee who tends to be busy without neccasarily achieving anything.
Hope this helps, perhaps you can tell me why you have only posted once  ???
regards,
jet
Also quite a lot of my posts are replies like this one ;)

Offline Margaret

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2002, 03:02:04 am »
I have never understood what people find to burn in there bonfires. Most things that we use can be recycled including garden rubbish, have these people not heard of composting to produce lovely rich earth to save spending a fortune at the garden centre and if it is not suitable for composting get some bags from the post office and leave just inside your front garden to be collected. For those unable to carry once filled ask a neighbour. As you may have guessed I am really fed up with the constant smell of bonfires, particularly as I am highly sensitive to all types of smoke.  :-\

sarg3

« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2002, 03:12:34 pm »
Jet my post was to be taken in a jest form only, hehe.
Im trying to find more time to get here more often but
at the moment it seems work and more work seems to
be my life!!  Still i managed to get here again.

Hope to get back again soon

Regards

Sarg3

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2003, 12:35:50 am »
It's been a pretty bad evening on the garden bonfire front tonight towards the lower end of Moffats, Bluebridge Avenue and Bluebridge Road. We have had to close all windows on what is a very hot and muggy evening. If anyone is considering lighting a bonfire tonight please spare a thought for those who might have the windows open to get some fresh air. †If you have to have a bonfire perhaps you could make sure there is no wet grass, leaves or household waste - they make matters ten times worse.
Thanks
« Last Edit: June 23, 2003, 12:39:38 am by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2003, 01:20:51 pm »
The other day we were in our garden when we spied smoke from a garden that tends to have lots of bonfires.  We thought not another one.  Anyhow, a few moments later the flames seemed to get quite tall and visible.  It seems the bonfire/bbq was situated under/near their shed which caught light due to the pitch felt roof which then caught a large bush alight, flames 15ft or so tall now and then the fence went. Flames everywhere. People were indoors so didn't see their garden going up. The Fire brigade was called but the family luckily managed to quell the flames before they arrived.  Now they've got half a shed, no fence and half a bush.

I kinda felt a bit smug - like they've got their come-uppence  ;D  Although I was worried for their neighbours cos at one point I thought the fire was going to travel along the fence.

oatmeal

« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2003, 07:47:01 pm »
I wholly agree with peoples sentiments about lighting smokey bonfires at innapropriate times, however its a sad state of affiars when someone takes offence that they cant knock on the door and have a word, which aggrevied me after i received a letter (wrongfully accused) from the environmental health.

Where has the community spirit gone?

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2003, 08:41:03 pm »
Community spirit has gone up in flames.
Join the club of the wrongly accused.
The EH usually write a letter after an EHO has visited and witnessed the offense.
If you have done no wrong, just say so and write back.
It is usuall for people to get the reply "its only once a year" or worse be intimidated if they complain.
More power to EH though if they keep getting called out perhaps they will start taking it seriously and prosecute thus ridding us all of this unhealthy nuisance situation once and for all.
regards,
jet

oatmeal

« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2003, 01:01:56 pm »
interesting point, although it is not illegal to have a bonfire, only if it persists in being a nuisance, hence my earlier point of talking to the perpetrator first, then escalating if necessary. Personally, as long as the fires are dry material, non smokey and lit late at night when everyone is indoors I dont have a problem with it

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2003, 12:11:46 am »
Personally, as long as the fires are dry material, non smokey and lit late at night when everyone is indoors I dont have a problem with it

Hi Oatmeal, the trouble is that bonfires are seldom of the non smokey variety. It is just after 9pm and, although not a hot summer day, is the type of day when it is nice to have the windows open. However we have had to shut the windows because of the smell of smoke which has now spread throughout the house. Perhaps we will be able to open the windows later when we go to bed, but I doubt it. Perhaps it is not about laws and rules, but about consideration for others?

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2003, 01:02:00 am »
At about 8-30 pm on the warmest nicest evening of the year some illegitamit person had a bonfire, despite the choking smoke the property was un identifiable under the smoke screen,grrrrrrrrrr
regards,
jet
Nil illigitum corborundum

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2003, 01:02:19 am »
I thought it was noli illegitimi carborundum

And would the latin scholars care to comment on the grammar of this?

Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2003, 03:05:15 am »
oh procedus offus and muliplius est pendanticus persona
semper en excretia profundum veritas
regardi,
jetus
Seriously (ish) it must be remembered Latin, like other crude languages,French for instance, cannot be directly translated, its when individual words are placed together that a meaning other than the literal translation occours.
Nil nhlis nlis etc all tend to mean "nothing" in a collective way. In the Nil ill.carb. phrase "nothing illigitimate grind" has been used in modern times to mean " don't let the ******* wear you down"
In other words its a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2003, 02:37:22 pm by jet »

Offline eric

« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2003, 11:45:45 am »
Was it not about forty years ago that Lord Denning pronounced "nil combustibus Pro fumo" ?

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2003, 12:44:02 pm »
Now thats what we need, entertaining jeux de verb.

A Latin story from schooldays:-

Der dago forti loriz inaro
Dem arno loriz dem artrux
Ful acuwz anenz andux

regardi

septicus jetus

Offline john

« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2003, 01:00:58 pm »
Not exactly "bonfires thread", but joining in the Latin thread, it's sad (?) that in these times it is still possible to persuade some students that an acceptable latin Grace before food is "lux domestos omo brobat"

bw   -  j(f)  (rvc-one)

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2003, 02:58:32 pm »
its refreshing to read a post like the previous one and laugh,
regards
jetus scepticus

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2003, 07:47:40 pm »
Not exactly bonfires but...after all the press last week about creosote being made illegal to use and buy, and how it's generally really pokey stuff which burns the eyes and lungs (not to mention that it's highly toxic and cancerous), our lovely next door neighbours decided at 12pm Sat to creosote 3 sides of their garden fence with stuff.

Mmmm, how pleasant for us.  We had to close the windows (on one of the hottest days of hte year) and leave the house to escape the fumes.  I mumbled obscenities rather too loudly in the back garden.

Birch  >:(

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2003, 12:24:50 am »
I don't know some people are never happy, I mean if they had not treated the fence you would only have moaned if it went rotten.
Joking aside I know what you mean having had to have my doors and windows closed for 4 hours on the hottest day of the year because of a pack of screaming uncontrolled brats expressing themselves.
The parents will moan when these hooligans grow bigger, take no notice of their elders and tear around the village in noisy cars, they will say " I don't know where they get it from " etc.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
regards,
jet
Thank God for Gobions a lovelly quiet place to go when your own home is not your own, noise nuisance is a form of burglary where ones peace is stolen by others.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2003, 12:25:23 am by jet »

Offline Margaret

« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2003, 02:18:40 am »
Know what you mean Jet but with me it's a yapping dog. On and off all day long, Yap,Yap,Yap. I have been know to scream shut up occaisionally before realising that is worse than the dog. So if the dog owners, who I think live in Shrublands read this, Please, Please stop your dog yapping all day every day. It's driving me mad!

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2003, 12:21:27 pm »
The one thing that the EH can deal with is a constant yapping dog, I suggest you contact the council, try to make sure the thing is yapping when they call though.
regards,
jet

Offline Margaret

« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2003, 11:14:42 am »
The council can only act if we can tell them exactly where the offending dog comes from, with so many dogs around that is almost impossible. But I would like to thank the person from either Woodlands, Calder or Mymms Drive who had a bonfire going nearly all day Saturday and then again on Sunday, having smoke fill your house (& Lungs) for the best part of a beautiful weekend was really enthralling!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

colinr

« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2004, 02:07:06 am »
Yet again as soon as we have weather pleasant enough to open our windows or sit in the gardens after a day at work, there are the same inconsiderate idiots who have to find something in their garden to burn and make it impossible to enjoy the fresh air. We are all fortunate enough to live in an area of the country that offers a fantastic recycling programme please see

http://www.welhat.gov.uk/council/default.asp?step=4&pid=180

So can I ask you if you are one of these pyromaniacs what is it you burn? Why do you do it? And why donít you recycle it? Please tell me because I really want to know. If you can justify you actions then I will open all my windows and breath in the acrid air, but if you canít please put it out and let me breath. Thank you

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2004, 11:29:27 pm »
Hi Colinr,

I think the only safe course of action is to shut all windows on hot summer evenings.

Trying to keep the smoke out and keep cool is a lost cause. †

You are right, there is absolutely no need to burn rubbish, but some seem to feel it is a right.

Either those who light fires in the evening don't read this forum, or they don't care.

I have yet to see someone post to this forum putting the case for contributing to smoke pollution on evenings when most people will have their windows open.

Perhaps a bonfire enthusiast will one day. I would like to read the arguments for.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 04:07:53 pm by admin »

colinr

« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2004, 11:58:52 pm »
I am sorry to go on, but itís 8.30pm and again some stupid Brookmans Park clown is burning his/her garden rubbish. So I will shut my windows and sit inside because he or she obviously has the right to do this!!! and s*d everybody else.
I see a lot have read this post but so far nobody can come up with a reason as to why burning rubbish is a pass time enjoyed by so few, (or is it so many) are you all lost for words?
Or is this a subject we should sweep under the carpet?
I look forward to some response.

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2004, 01:15:17 am »
I think I mentioned years ago on the old forum that the reason why people burn rubbish is not because they don't want to put it out for the bin men or because they don't have a compost heap, but simply because all the old (and some of the new) gardening books tell you to "burn all weeds and infected plants", which is why it always smells so awful. In addition, the material is still almost 100% water so does not burn fast hence the smoke just drifts instead of going upwards.

Up here at Greatville we do have bonfires but not in the spring or summer, and do not burn anything other than old wood which the chipping machine cannot touch and which our friends with open fires would not be interested in.

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Tags: