Author Topic: Garden bonfires and burning commercial trade (building) waste  (Read 79904 times)

longman

Garden bonfires and burning commercial trade (building) waste
« on: February 17, 2002, 10:03:41 pm »
Suppose it was inevitable. †The first nice weekend, sun shining, almost warm towards the middle of the afternoon and a good time to open a few windows and let some fresh air in. †No wrong! †A good time to open the windows and let the smell of burning rubbish in. †What a pity, what a really really pitiful pity.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2002, 08:59:50 pm by admin »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
Re: Garden bonfires and burning commercial trade (building) waste
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2002, 11:37:42 pm »
Yes you beat me to it!
My walk was spoilt by the smoke in Bluebridge and Peplins.
Why thes idiots choose calm weather, with forecast mist for their antics is beyond logic.
Yet I bet that none of the 100 odd householders affected had the courage to have a word with the parties concerned.
Perhaps they dont mind?
jet

John_fraser

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2002, 03:13:03 pm »
Personally I donít have a big issue with fires at this time of year. Itís the hot summer evenings,  when people have windows open and would like to enjoy a pleasant long evening in their gardens, that I find objectionable. Also you would expect the evening to be reasonably calm. Lighting a fire on a windy day would be a little foolish.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2002, 08:36:37 pm »
au contraire John,
A good breeze gets a good fire going, it dissapates the smell and its all over a bit faster.
Calm conditions are usually damp and encourage smouldering.
It is so much easier to take it all to the dump, one only has to clean up a worse mess after a bonfire anyway.
I work from home a lot and today there has been a constant stink in my house ( from a fire not me), I have a sore throat and I wish I could find where it was coming from.
From know all jet

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2002, 01:54:24 pm »
Old misery guts again,
It Stunk in B.P. yesterday, a few smokey fires and a light easterly.
The wife and myself had bad eyes last night, anyone else or is it just us?
God help us this weekend!!!
I am going to lobby the council about this health issue, will anyone else do the same?
regards,
jet

observer

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2002, 10:35:50 pm »
For once I agree with Jet.  This Easter weekend and being a Sunday, the stench from bonfires is absolutely disgusting.    We had to shut our windows.  Also do new families that have moved into the area know about the service whereby they can hire a skip to dispose of rubbish!!............just a thought!

On another note, has anybody else been appalled at the amount of rubbish strewn along Swanland Road?  Is the council doing anything about this or are they only interested in wasting our money in building cycle paths complete with unneccessary unending extra road signs?

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2002, 11:12:25 am »
Some of us find the new cycle paths very useful :)

But I agree with you about the rubbish!

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

observer

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2002, 03:32:35 pm »
If money has been spent on cycle paths at the expense of litter collection then perhaps cyclists might care to carry a few bin liners and tidy up the rubbish on their way!

observer

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2002, 01:05:05 am »
In response to Longman...which of your four points do you refer to in your last comment headed "A couple of points here for Observer"?

In reply..

1:      doesn't matter
2:      who cares...its all our money
3:      only if they drive along cycle paths.(Do you have a secret longing to drive a four wheel drive/Range Rover....I might be able to let you have a drive in mine)
4:       as regards silly links etc...dont don't tell me what I can or can't do...if you don't like it then get on your bike.......like it???

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2002, 01:58:49 am »
... but if you're a four wheel drive user, wouldn't you prefer all the cyclists to be off the road on cycle paths rather than forcing you to slow down to safely over take them when they're using the same bit of road as you?

;)

Slightly more relevantly, why is it the council's responsibility to pick up the litter? Surely it should be our responsibility to not drop it in the first place....

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2002, 02:04:35 pm »
Let's get this thread back on track !

Just out of interest has 'Observer' even hired a skip before ?

Generally you don't get any change out of £100 for a reasonably sized one, and you have all the hassle of having either your drive blocked or obstructing the road for days on end. I'm sure this would annoy people just as much !

If all the rubbish you want to dispose of is in your garden and you can have a bonfire there, it's not hard to see why people are going to have a fire which costs them nothing.

Personally I've disposed of the equivalent of many skips worth of rubbish in bonfires over the years. I always make sure the wind is blowing away from the houses. I only burn easily burnable materials like wood, that way a hot fire results with little smoke. The problem bonfires normally seem to be caused by damp materials like leaves, lawn cuttings and so on. As has been suggested before, composting is a far better solution.

I think its a perfectly reasonable to have bonfires as long as a bit of common sense is used. I don't mind the occasional smell of smoke any more than I mind my neighbours having a noisy party occasionally. However if it was a regular event then I certainly would object.

So lets live and let live, let's concentrate on important matters like road safety and the like. I sometimes think that if the most important issues in people's lives are this trivial then we really are very lucky, let's be grateful we live in a nice place like BP and not somewhere like Palestine or Afghanistan.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2002, 06:02:43 pm »
I was one of the worst culprits untill a neighbour pointed out what a nuisance my bonfires were, even though I only had them at night and with a side wind.
I now find it easier to trim into heavy duty bags and take them up the dump, its cleaner and quicker. About 4 car loads equalls a skip. Say £1 petrol per trip.
On the subject of the cycle path, my observation ( when taking rubish to the dump) reveals that cyclists tend to stay on the main road which allows them to build up speed and means they do not have to dismount or give way where the path crosses side roads etc. It seems a waste of money which could have been better spent on road repairs which would benifit all. A good idea in theory gone wrong.
As an ex cyclist (its too dangerous) I can only say have consideration for others. On wheel, foot or hoof!
It is 3 pm and washing has been in and out 3 times due to stink of fires. I have a headache from it. The health hazard of working from home and reducing my travelling!
regards,
jet

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2002, 06:40:17 pm »
Not sure what sort of car you drive, jet, but I'd not get a skip load into 4 car loads !

Out of interest, where in BP do you live ? I'm in the Peplins area and quite a few people do have bonfires (myself occasionally) although have never been bothered by them.

Your point about the cycle paths not being used is a good one, as a one time keen cyclist I used to avoid them too. The reason - nothing to do with having to dismount at intersections, but the amount of debris on the cyclepath that can cause punctures. Many times I got a puncture when using the cyclepath along the A414 between London Colney and Park Street roundabouts when I used to cycle to Hemel Hempstead. I believe the same problem is true on the old A1, the path is immaculate when built but then ignored, with thorns and brambles soon building up. Does anyone know whether these cyclepaths are swept regularly ?

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2002, 08:25:44 pm »
Dear S.
I live in Calder Avenue.Now everyone can come and have a go at me. I am in a very defensive mood at the moment. I mean to say someone left a mars bar wrapper behind my hedge, "unbelievable" as Mr Meldrew would say!
A Carlton saloon car. 6 bags in boot, 4 across back seat and one on passenger seat. Mind you it is all cut up and compacted into the bags. From what I see people seem to fill skips with loads of air.
Don't forget skips like cars vary in size.
regards,
old (well middle aged ) misery guts, jet
P.S. I suppose someones going to tell me my cars overloaded?

John_fraser

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2002, 11:51:38 pm »
ďquite a few people do have bonfires (myself occasionally) although have never been bothered by them.Ē

Sounds like a smoker who canít see why people in the restaurant donít like smoking, because ďit never bothers meĒ

Your comments about Palestine and Afghanistan are as pathetic as they are offensive. This isnít a Sunday school form debating forum. We know we live in a nice place and could be better a lot worse off. To use the genuine misery of others to hide anti social behaviour behind is very poor.

Air quality is a real problem. My eldest son has asthma, and while we have it under control now, we have had to rush him to hospital in the past. In the winter most people have their windows shut at night, so bonefires are not an issue. But in the summer we have to choose to put him in a stuffy or smoke filled room. Both of which affect his asthma.

If most people can get away without fires between April and October, why canít you?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2002, 11:52:40 pm by John_fraser »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2002, 12:54:38 am »
Bonfires are great fun when you are having one, as of course one stands upwind!
For all the people downwind it is not so much fun.
Consideration is allways the answer.
Just think what it would be like if we all had bonfires, screamed in the garden or played loud music etc. etc.
The few spoil the fun of the many.
Please don't anyone take personal offence. Its just an observation. After the Nightrider episode I don't think I could take any more flak.
Heres a thought, noisy neighbours downwind, easy light a fire and make them go in?
regards,
jet :)

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2002, 12:55:42 pm »
John

Suggest you sit down, count to ten and try and calm down. You're obviously very stressed, even angered by my comments.

I'm sorry your son has asthma, obviously smoke, whether from bonfires, vehicles or wherever isn't going to help his condition. However if you'd read my message I make the point that consideration is the key.

Of course I'm not going to start a bonfire if the smoke is going to blow in the direction of other houses. That would be clearly anti-social.

As far as your comments about my comparison with other parts of the world and 'sunday school debating' well, as I said before, calm down ! The great thing about brookmans.com is that we can all have our say and express our opinions in an adult, grown-up way, obviously we won't always agree but then there wouldn't be a debate would there ? You may think the comments pathetic, but offensive ? If you're that easily offended then maybe you shouldn't be debating in this forum.

Totally agree with jet, his last post sums it up, in short, common sense.

BTW, no I don't smoke, but don't object to others doing it as long as there's consideration for others.

John_fraser

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2002, 03:47:03 pm »

The tragedies of Afghanistan and Palestine are massive. Decades of war, thousands killed, ten of thousands maimed, an anger fuelled by poverty and fear that becomes so great people are willing to kill themselves in order to bring terror to whole populations, wars alternatively ignored and fuelled by the West, with absolutely no end in sight. And you chose to use it to defend ďyourĒ right to light a bonfire. Although I realise you gave no thought this, offensive is still an understatement.

Yes we all have a right to our say. Iím not denying you yours, nor would I if I could. And you at least are defending your view openly. The last person to do this did so anonymously.

Consideration is not doing it. Stand on Hawkshead Lane on the next fin summerís evening and you will see the cloud of smoke hanging over the village. There is no need to light a bonefire on a summerís evening, so donít do it.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2002, 05:14:40 pm »
John, we do actually agree ! Afghanistan and Palestine are enormous tragedies, caused at least in part by rich western countries such as ours. I was not trying to justify bonfires with these events, merely make the point that we live in a stable civilised society with trivial problems in comparison.
I'm sorry if you're offended although no offence was meant. Please don't try and draw the inference that I equate bonfires to the events in the middle east !

I will try and take a look at BP from Hawkshead Lane on a fine evening, all I can say is its not a good idea to have a fire on a still day.  

Rather than risk a jet vs nightrider argument this is the last I'll say on the subject, maybe you'll prefer to have the last word on this one  ;)

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2002, 08:22:49 pm »
Unbelievable its 5-15 and I have not smelt one bonfire today. (Not meaning to add fuel to the fire)
But what a day for mowers, chainsaws, mating magpies and the just past 4-00 screaming kids, all cured in part by the trusty old earplugs.
Yes we live in a great place its just a shame it couldn't be better.
In Krautland I believe there are laws anti mowing, fires, washing cars etc on a Sunday. What do they all find to do?
Regarding Middle East and North Africa I have felt safe there even as a tourist, is it the stricter laws, you don't mess with the police out there? wheras over here the police seem to have absolutley no respect from the public.
Read the Sun today (yes there are words in it not just pictures), a policeman beaten in front of 150 people at a station and not even help from security guards. Now that  gets things in perspective.
regards,
jet
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:50:08 pm by jet »

Offline Bob

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on many things
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2002, 02:00:57 am »
You may not have had a bonfire in BP but someone in Cuffley had one for you >:(
Bob

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2002, 02:01:10 pm »
someone had one here at about 9pm it steadily penetrated the house for the next few hours, was it all the way from Cuffley? :(
regards
jet

Offline MC

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2002, 02:12:29 pm »
Sasquartch,

I'm going to be agreeing with John on this one.

"Out of interest, where in BP do you live ? I'm in the Peplins area and quite a few people do have bonfires (myself occasionally) although have never been bothered by them"

This is completely incorrect. There have been a large number of posts on this subject in the past because there has been a total lack of any consideration whatsoever on the part of bonfire "pyromaniacs" (so-called).

I live in the Peplins area too. I have no problem with people having say one or two bonfires a year preferably between Oct and April but in any case in the evening on a cloudy day.

What we actually have are people who light a bonfire every couple of weeks, often using wet material and very frequently on sunny summer evenings. God knows we have few enough of them but now we have people making them unuseable. Somebody even lit a bonfire in the middle of a glorious summers day.

It's unacceptable behaviour. If people can't be bothered to take stuff to the tip then at least gather it together for a while so it dries out and so that fewer bonfires are needed. And then only light up on evenings when others probably won't be outside.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2002, 03:25:25 pm »
MC,

You quote "This is completely incorrect". Not sure how you can say that I haven't been bothered by them, surely only I would know that !  ;)

However the point you trying to make is perfectly valid, there are people having fires but not considering others. Whilst it doesn't offend me I can appreciate it may offend others.

I'm always careful to make sure the wind is blowing away from the houses when I have my (infrequent) fires and certainly don't burn damp leaves etc that produce loads of smoke. A good hot fire produces little smoke and is soon over.

You say that occasional fires are OK providing consideration is given to others - I think we actually agree on this !

Out of interest I walked from Welham Green to BP along Station Road last night at around midnight and the smell of bonfires was evident from about the church onwards. And, no, it wasn't me ! Difficult to tell where the smell originated from as the air was still, however the general area of Peplins seems likely.

Offline Bob

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2002, 03:59:52 am »
I had occasion to be in Brookmans Park at about 5pm on Thursday driving along Station Road by the scout hut and I think there were 2 bonfires on the other side of the railway line - back gardens in Peplins Way? The smoke had drifted over the line to Station Road so as I had my roof down I was certainly aware of it, quite apart from the fact that is illegal to let bonfire smoke drift over a road I'm not sure what effect it would have had on a train drivers visibility. At least Cuffley was clear when I got home. ;)
MC made a point that it is better to have a bonfire in the evening when people will have gone indoors, the problem with that theory is that in the summer you leave the windows open so that the air in the house stays nice and fresh. Fat chance of that if anybody within about 1/2 mile radius has a bonfire :'(
« Last Edit: April 05, 2002, 04:22:49 am by Bob »
Bob

Offline The Orange Llama

• Opinions on some things
  • There's only one orange llama....
    • See where I live
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2002, 11:09:29 am »
Get the impression some people can't win!

First of all people moan if there are bonfires in the middle of the day. Then people moan if there's no wind. Then people moan if the wind blows the smoke into other houses.

So these people in Peplins waited until the evening, made sure there was wind, made sure the wind was from the East so the smoke drifted away from any other houses... and still we moan!!

Bob - if these people (no, it's not me) wanted to have a bonfire, under which conditions would you recommend then?

The Orange Llama
The Orange Llama - looking at life from an alternative viewpoint since 1902

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2002, 12:30:57 pm »
At the risk of sticking my nose in the best condition would be when it blows the smoke into their own homes :)
This never is the case :(
regards,
jet

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2002, 02:03:28 pm »
Just a thought but I have a small electric shredder which can reduce a large amount of sticks and branches into really nice mulch to put on the compost or dig in. It is a †bit noisey, about as loud as a lawn mower. †It is fairly fast and the by-product is useful. I am sure Bryan in the village hardware and bike shop can get hold of them if anyone is interested. I think they cost about the same as hiring a skip.
David Brewer
Forum Administrator
« Last Edit: April 05, 2002, 02:36:09 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

John_fraser

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2002, 03:57:18 pm »
Brian does hire out a large orange one of these. You can see it outside his shop most days of the week.

& Mr Llama - you can win. Don't light a fire Between start of April and October. That way everyone's happy.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2002, 07:15:19 pm »
I have one third acre, mostly "tidy" wild and wooded. If I can manage to keep it down to one car load a month to the dump, then surely everyone else can? ???
It only works out at 3hrs a week including mowing.
I wonder what all those garden companies are actually doing in peoples gardens, walking back and forth?
A shredder is an excellent idea, but secatures quickly reduce it to bags of twigs etc. ;)
Consider †Leaving a pile of logs etc for the toads and newts to live in, whats a few square feet of garden lost :) They were here first.
The gardens around here are mostly too formal and with too much concrete, still each to their own :)
Have a nice time in the garden y'all,
regards,
jet
« Last Edit: April 05, 2002, 07:18:18 pm by jet »

Tags: