Poll

Should we keep the Weblog?

No
9 (47.4%)
Yes
10 (52.6%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: August 20, 2006, 11:11:36 pm

Author Topic: Brookmans Park Blog  (Read 17924 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Brookmans Park Blog
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2006, 07:07:51 am »
An interesting contribution has been added to the weblog overnight about terrorism, fear and government.

Click here for the Brookmans Park Weblog and the article 'State of Fear'.

You can add your comments by clicking on the comment button at the end of the piece.

Remember, any member of the Brookmans Park Forum can register to use the Weblog in order to write longer think pieces about non-local issues. Just send me a message by clicking here and using the form, and I will register you.

There is a poll that ends tonight trying to assess whether we should continue with the Weblog. Of the 15 who had voted by 7am Sunday morning, nine voted to say we should not keep the Weblog and six voted that we should.

To see the poll and vote in it, click on the 'go up' button that looks like this and is  just below this post.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2006, 08:04:31 pm »
With just four hours to go before our Weblog poll closes, it's 9-9 in voting on whether we should keep it. Thanks to the 18 forum users who have bothered to vote.

One more contribution before the poll vote closes and it's about smokers littering.

Many might have seen people stub out their cigarettes on the pavement and then move on without picking up their litter, but now a man has been fined for flicking ash out of his car window - a step too far?

Click here for the weblog contribution (by me) about smokers littering.

Or click here for the entire weblog.

And to see the poll and vote in it, click on the 'go up' button that looks like this and is  just below this post.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2006, 06:27:53 am »
Five days ago we set up a poll to see whether we should keep the Brookmans Park Newsletter Weblog.

The poll was set to run for exactly five days and closed late last night. 10 people voted to keep the blog and nine people voted to get rid of it.

So, we will leave the blog live, but will no longer promote contributions from the front page unless they are news stories about the area that we feel we should showcase.

Remember, if you want to register to post in the Weblog, please send me a message  by clicking here.

Thanks to all those who voted.

David
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 09:19:49 am by David Brewer »

PBCF.Zero

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2006, 03:49:36 pm »
Thanks John and Paul,

I suppose the real answer would be to have an open source content management system where people could submit articles for consideration which would then arrive in the site's templates and which, once approved, could automatically be published in the site's news pages with a link from the front page.

I have been looking at a couple of the open-source CMS solutions, such as Mambo and Joomla.

At the moment, the site is written in raw html using a simple text editor - which is time consuming, limiting and inflexible.

It would be much easier if there was a simple user interface to allow more people to contribute to the news items and features on the site.

David

Wow, I had no idea the frontpage and news were just written and uploaded in HTML here. At www.pottersbarforum.org I was looking at open source CMS but I found them too complicated and I felt they wouldn't integrate well with the site - so instead I began writing my own. It was easier than I thought, although quite time consuming - and its not finished yet either. It is in PHP with a MySQL database. As I designed it myself, I was able to add the links straight through to the forum automatically instead of having to cut and paste hyperlinks. In the Classified Adverts section (which is down at the moment), members are required to register before adding an advert, and use the same forum ID automatically across both services. It might be worth looking at a custom CMS, as it could be a better alternative in the long run, and members could contribute news themselves under their forum ID with approval required by an editor or some other similar solution.

Tags: