Author Topic: Handyside Family & Mimwood Lodge  (Read 14300 times)

Offline Sarah Stone

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Handyside Family & Mimwood Lodge
« on: October 25, 2002, 02:33:10 am »
Hi to Everybody
I was really getting stuck trying to find info on my Great, Great Grandfather till I came across this site so I am hoping somebody can help.
William Handyside lived @ Mimwood Lodge from some time between early 1859 and Dec 1860 until some time before Sept 1865. These dates were found from his childrens birth info. The only info we are sure about is that he was a Gardener.
My father is 88 and I am trying to build up a picture of William (who died in 1916 aged almost 90) for his birthday. At the rate I am going it looks like it will be for his 90th!!
Any help or suggestions of where I can look would be greatly appreciated

Offline Alfred the Great

• Opinions on many things
Re: Handyside Family & Mimwood Lodge
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2002, 11:35:34 pm »
If Mymwood Lodge is the place I think, then it is still standing at the entrance to Mymwood House, just off Shepherds Way.

Are you local Sarah? If not, I can photograph the lodge and email it to you. There are other snippets of information about Mymwood House you may be interested in aswell, but depends how much you already know.

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2002, 11:36:38 pm »
Just done what I should have done first, checked your profile. No, Cheshire is not local.

ATG

Offline Sarah Stone

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2002, 01:37:49 am »
Hi Alfred T G
Many thanks for the offer.....that would be great.
Many years ago, whilst visiting my brother in London we took a trip out to Mimwood and found a huose on the map called Mimwood (or is it Mymwood?). It was, I think an old peoples residential home. Anyway we took some photos of the house and a lodge at the end of the drive. I don't have a clue where it was but I do remember it (the house not the lodge)was light coloured.Other than that I have absolutly no more info except the names and dated of birth of William's choldren that were born there. Has anybody any idea which church they might have been baptised in or where I can find transcriptions of the church records and/or birth registrations.
Many thanks again
« Last Edit: October 27, 2002, 01:59:21 am by Sarah_Stone »

Offline Sarah Stone

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2002, 02:04:11 am »
Don't seem to be able to post a modification to the above post. I forgot to add the names and dob of William's children both born @ Mimwood lodge, North Mimms (according to the info we have).
They were Jessie  Handyside dob 02 Dec 1860 and Margaret E Handyside dob 14 Oct 1862.

Astra

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2002, 03:05:21 pm »
Hi

Isn't the entrance to mymswood house almost opposite Swanley Bar Lane.

Astra

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2002, 11:21:42 pm »
No, that's the entrance to Leggatts Park (now being developed with new houses, I believe).

ATG

Offline NMLHS

• North Mymms Local History Society informant
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2002, 10:28:35 pm »
Regarding the possibilities of where William's children might have been baptised, Shepherds Way, whilst in North Mymms parish, is geographically between St. Mary's Church, North Mymms and what I think was St. James, Kentish Lane or just possibly St. Thomas a Becket, Northaw.  The last church was made redundant as a Church of England church some years ago.  It is now the Church of of the Twelve Apostles - Greek Orthodox church.  

Offline Sarah Stone

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 10:05:18 pm »
It's a long time since I posted this but thought I would reactivate as it were. I have more info on William now. He served his apprenticeship at The Hirsal, Coldstream, Berwick. Ancestral home to Sir Alec Douglas Home. I wonder if there is a connection somewhere? He got married in Newcastle upon Tune and ended his days as Head Gardner at Buile Hill in Seedley Nr Manchester/Salford.
I would love to find out more about his time at Mimwood. Are there any baptism records on line anywhere.
Many thanks for any help.

Offline Sarah Stone

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 02:17:02 pm »
Hi
I am still trying to work out where my G g grandfather William HANDYSIDE worked as a gardener and where my great grandmother was born. On Jessy's birth cert it says born Mimwood Lodge, North Mimms in 1860. On the 1861 census she is 4 months old living with her father William at Mimwood. 2 pages bef this entry the address is Brookmans Park. Was Mimwood (Lodge) part of the Brookmans estate? Is Mimwood and Mimwood lodge the same place. Does anybody know where on the map I could find it. I have seen what is/was an old folks home called Mimwood and it has a gate house/lodge at the bottom of the drive. Could this be it?.
Lots of questions I'm afraid but would love to pin him down.
He went from there to Buile Hill estate, Seedley, Salford, Lancs and was head gardener there for many years. Does anybody know of any connection between the 2 places
Many thanks

Offline maureen

• Opinions on a couple of things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 11:58:56 am »
Hi, Mymwood in the 50's / 60's was in Shepherds Lane,on the north side, just down (west) from Queenswood School. It was the junior part of the school.
I expect you know all this by now, but I only read the entry today.
maureen

Offline Sarah Stone

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 12:26:17 pm »
Hi Maureen
No I've not got any further. I have photos of a place I visited many years ago called Mimwood. It was then an old peoples home.  At the start of the drive to it was/is a lodge. I wondered if this is the original Mimwood. Is this the place you mention. I have not got a clue which rd the one I visited was on.
Thanks
Sarah

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 07:46:36 pm »
I have a jpeg of one of the first Ordnance Survey maps of the east end of Brookmans Park, and the existing nursing home is definitely shown on there with the spelling "Mimwood". So the lodge is almost certainly the small house at the gateway on Shepherds Way. Not sure what the date of the map is but probably pre 1900.

ATG

Offline Sarah Stone

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 12:40:45 am »
Thats great. Thanks for confirming that I do actually have a photo of where they lived!!!!! Many thanks

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 04:25:35 am »
I can also confirm that this is Mimwood House and Mimwood Lodge - there was a cemented in lay of the name on the lodge.  I'm not sure if the in lay is still there.
My mother used to work there in the 1960's/early 70's.
Maureen is correct - it was a Junior School for Queenswood Girls.

Offline Sarah Stone

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2009, 04:14:27 pm »
Hi to Everybody
 I was really getting stuck trying to find info on my Great, Great Grandfather till I came across this site so I am hoping somebody can help.
William Handyside lived @ Mimwood Lodge from some time between early 1859 and Dec 1860 until some time before Sept 1865. These dates were found from his childrens birth info. The only info we are sure about is that he was a Gardener.
My father is 88 and I am trying to build up a picture of William (who died in 1916 aged almost 90) for his birthday. At the rate I am going it looks like it will be for his 90th!!
 Any help or suggestions of where I can look would be greatly appreciated

Thanks everybody for your help. Dad is now almost 95 and still going strong!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2009, 04:43:24 pm »
Hi Sarah,

Glad it was of some help. Best wishes for your dad's 95th.

:)

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 12:57:53 am »
Sarah - Been thinking about this. There is a very old small Church on the grounds of what is now Queenswood School which is across the road, literally, from Mimswood and has extensive and impressive gardens and allotments.
It's only been a school since around 1925 - perhaps someone else can help out here. They must have been self sufficient for food and there is a good chance that your ancestors were baptised in this old church and  that your great, great grandfather worked on these grounds as well.
Also, if you look through the history section of this site, there is mention of noble landowners that were also connected to the North of England.
I'm sure there must be a connection with all of this. Instead of looking just at Mimswood, I think you'll find your answers will stem from what is now Queenswood.
Funnily enough, I think Shepherds Way was called Sheephouse Hill - just to confuse things!
I can't seem to find who or what Queenswood was before it was a school - does anybody know?

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 04:29:31 am »
Hi Sarah. I'm not sure if you've looked at the Queenswood website? http://www.queenswood.org/
If you click on 'About Queenswood', then click 'Interactive Map' and then click on the Chapel it gives you a great photo.  Also, if this helps, there used to be facilities for the gardeners by the potting sheds. It was like an old house and they used to eat their lunch there. There was a wooden sign in there which listed the names of gardeners (Head?) that worked there over the years - I'm not sure how far it went back in time. I haven't seen it for forty years, but I expect it's still there!
In the late 1960's, the Head Gardener was Ernie Jay. He was sworn enemies of me and my mates! We used to sneak there at dusk and raid the strawberry patches! Ernie wasn't impressed!  :)
I see that you live in Cheshire - I live in Australia now - but will be in England soon for a visit and will be staying near PB.  If you want, I can pop in to the school and make a few enquires for you.
Cheers
Steve

Offline Sarah Stone

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 10:55:54 pm »
Hi Steve
Any help is appreciated, thanks. I am not too sure how much connection there is between Mimwood and Queenswood. I presume since he lived at Mimwood Lodge he was employed by the occupants of Mimwood House but other folk here think there might be a connection.
Thanks
Have a good trip
Sarah

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 03:00:27 am »
Hi Sarah
I know this is confusing - I also have family that were in the area at your time frames - and the churches that stand out are St Mary's in North Mymms and St Giles and St Margaret's in South Mimms.
My family were baptised, married and buried in these churches. I don't know what else you have found out??, but I think the whole area belonged to Gobions Manor, then part of it sold off to Leggatts Estate and in turn they sold off part of their land to Mimwood which was a sheep farm. Mimwood sold land to Queenswood, and over the years, Queenswood also bought further land from Mimwood.
Steve

Offline Sarah Stone

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 01:58:03 pm »
Hi Steve
Do you have any rough time frames for the sales of land.
Why couldn't he stay in one place like most folk did then!

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2009, 11:01:31 pm »
Hi Sarah - If you go to the History section of this site, there is a lot of information which begins from the 13th century onward. From what I can work out, Archibald Thompson JP was one of the last people to live at Mymwood House. Queenswood bought the freehold for Mimwood House and the land adjoining on the North side of Sheephouse Hill in 1931. They moved the school from Clapham to their current site in the 1920's.
As for the churches, all the males in my family married at St Mary's etc bar my dad and myself....I got married in
Gretna Green!  :)
Are you trying to work out where Jessy was baptised???
If so, it'd be worth contacting St Mary's http://www.stmarysnorthmymms.org.uk/ and St Giles and St Margaret's
http://www.stgiles-stmargarets.co.uk/
Steve

Offline Sarah Stone

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 11:47:23 pm »
Hi Steve
Yes I would be interested in finding where Jessie and Margaret Emma were bapt but mainly I'm trying to build up a picture of William the father and the work he would have done as a gardener at that time and the gardens he would have worked in. I have managed to get a turn of the century (20th) photo of the kitchen garden at The Hirsel, Coldstream way up in the North East where he was a journeyman gardener in the 1861 census.
Sarah

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2009, 01:28:56 am »
If you google image 'Mymwood House' click on the zoopla site. It will take you to sale details of the house, and if you scroll down virtual earth shows the house, lodge and surrounds including the Queenswood site.

I wonder if any reading this has old photo's of the house and lodge???

I also suspect that when you read the history info on this site, one of the noble names will link to The Hirsel.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 01:40:19 am by stevea »

Tags: