Author Topic: School Coaches  (Read 26316 times)

Offline naomi

• Opinions on some things
Re: School Coaches
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2008, 03:39:03 am »
AK. I totally agree with MIR and Stevea.  I have a child and walk her to the school bus stop every day. I stay with her until the bus comes. In the afternoon, she takes the bus home and I wait for for the bus to arrive. Sometimes my husband collects her from school in the car.  Yes, the school buses can cause bottlenecks....they are much larger than cars!  No, I will not let her walk to school, wait at the bus stop alone....Yes, she does exercise, play sports etc etc  Do you really think that parents want to be doing a school pick up or drop off in the first place! Do you not realize that parents generally do this out of necessity.  I also used to walk to school, go on a bus alone...times have changed...and sadly, not for the better in some ways.  I worry about my child's lack of independence....but I'd worry even more if she was abducted!  Give me a coach bottleneck any day!

Offline GGDT

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2008, 12:05:29 pm »

Totally agree with you Spearchucher, but I am not complaining about the older children, it's the inconsiderate parents of the primary school children who block Bradmore Way every day. Most of the time it is only one child being drooped off, all I am requesting is that a little thought and organisation between the parents could substantially reduce the number of vehicles clogging up this very narrow road.

What I fail to understand is that Brookmans Park Primary has (or at least had when I was there) a large, long driveway and ample space to turn round at the end of it.

Why can the school not just allow these parents to drive onto their premises, drop their kids off then turn round and drive off again thus leaving the road clear?

Same applies to Chancellors which has a drive, turning bay and car park and the other local school (which particularly infuriates me) Lochinver House where, despite a car park which is always empty, the parents choose to block up Osborne Road.

John_fraser

« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2008, 07:14:49 pm »
Lochinver House where, despite a car park which is always empty, the parents choose to block up Osborne Road.

That is just plain wrong. The school has two car parks. One is always packed to such an extent that it is very difficult to get round during drop off. The other, the one off Osborne road, is the staff car park. It is never empty, only takes a few cars and due to it's long thin shape would be impossible to navigate out of if used by parents.

Having experienced all three schools during the morning rush, a little more consideration and lot more common sense by some of the parents would go a long way towards eliminating the problems.

Offline flw67

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2008, 08:57:05 pm »
GGDT, I can assure you Lochinver House car park is NEVER empty at school drop off/pick up.
As for driving into Brookmans Park school to drop of the kids and then turning round, that would cause utter chaos. 

I have to say I drive down Bradmore/Peplins everyday at school time and it is not as bad as people are making out, it is never blocked, and you can always get round, albeit, slowly.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2008, 08:46:57 am »
I have to say I drive down Bradmore/Peplins everyday at school time and it is not as bad as people are making out, it is never blocked, and you can always get round, albeit, slowly.

Providing everyone keeps to the 'unofficial' 'one-way' system, doing the loop in an anti-clockwise direction. I only know that 'system' from a resident in Peplins. I have encountered lorry drivers and vans, and some car drivers trying to go against the flow who don't know and that's when the chaos starts particularly at the end of Peplins adjacent to the Chinese restaurant!

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2008, 10:24:31 pm »
Schools should  carry out a risk assessment before allowing parents to drive into schools during drop off and pick up times.   If this was carried out correctly it would be unlikely that vehicles would be permitted in the school grounds during these periods.

Phil_Holm

« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2008, 10:14:05 pm »
Hi Peppermint.  The Primary School and Chancellors have both carried out risk Assessments and you are correct, that they do not allow parents to drive vehicles in the grounds especially at drop of and pick up times.

As a resident of Bradmore Way, and as a parent with children at BP Primary School, I can't see what the problem is.  The unofficial one-way system works well enough - although I live a short distance from the village and am regularly guilty of going round the wrong way !!

OK, it's busy at 8.30 - 9am and at 3 - 3.30, but generally people drive slowly, and I've never had problems.

Offline GGDT

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2008, 01:25:18 pm »
GGDT, I can assure you Lochinver House car park is NEVER empty at school drop off/pick up.
As for driving into Brookmans Park school to drop of the kids and then turning round, that would cause utter chaos. 

I've never personally seen more than 3 cars in the 'staff' carpark off Osbourne Road as mentioned in the post above. I do however acknowlege that it would be impossible for the mothers dropping off to turn round in there due to the sheer size of their vehicles ;D

What I would like to see is Osbourne road have double yellow lines from it's junction with Church Road right up to the road the Builders Arms is situated on. This would force those dropping kids off to use the quieter back road (by the builders) and not block up what is one of the main thoroughfares into PB.

As for Brookmans Park when I used to live in Peplins Way many years ago it was the parking of those dropping off which was a problem, not the flow of traffic. I can only assume this has changed for the better from the posts above.

Offline flw67

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2008, 08:07:36 pm »
The Staff Car park is exactly that, so you are not allowed to park in there anyway.  I dont know what time you drive past, but when I go past, twice a day, it is full up with "staff" cars.  Also the quieter road by the builders is also choc a block as is the builders car park

I agree Osborne road does get very congested as you also have parents from Mount Grace waiting for their children as well.

Tags: